DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default good Palm apps for publishing people?

I'm going to get a new Palm sometime soon and will building it from scratch. I'm going to install my favorite apps I've had on the old one (Thought Manager, JShopper, SplashID, SmartDoc, BugMe!), but the new one, whichever model I pick, will have a lot more room, so if you have a favorite PalmOS app to recommend, please speak up and give me a link to it! :-) I'm looking for anything particularly useful to a graphic designer (moi :-)) who works with vendors (print, manufacturing, agencies,...) and clients. Said clients and vendors are in wildly varying time zones and languages (especially SE Asian) all over the globe, so if you know of anything interesting to help with those factors, too, mention them, too, please.

Oh, and whatever they are need to play nicely when my Palm is sync'd to my MacOS X machines.

Also, what are MacOS people using to HotSync all the basic PalmOS apps these days? Anyone still using Palm Desktop? The Missing Sync sounds pretty good, but do I need anything apart from OSX's iCal, AddressBook, and whatever is on here for To-Do lists? I have Entourage available to try with it, too, if need be.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If you have any intention of using the Palm with wireless, make certain the one you buy will allow it. I just went looking on a whim last night and found that I can't add wireless to my Tunsten E. Minor peeve.

On the bright side, the ability to slip in SD cards is truly liberating. Makes it easy to dump all kinds of stuff on there w/o having to agonize over it.

The Palm probably comes with MobileDB (a little database app) - it's worth visiting their site for a few other useful databases.

BDicty is a useful dictionary app that has several foreign languages available at moderate prices. I forget their earl but plug the name into Google and it shouldn't be hard to find. With a name like that, who needs SEO? ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Also, what are MacOS people using to HotSync all the basic PalmOS apps these days? Anyone still using Palm Desktop? The Missing Sync sounds pretty good, but do I need anything apart from OSX's iCal, AddressBook, and whatever is on here for To-Do lists? I have Entourage available to try with it, too, if need be.
I use the Palm Desktop for synching, and Entourage to link to the various Palm apps. It all works for me.

I also use a time synch program because the Palm gains time, but the Mac gets its time from a time server. Synching the Palm to the Mac prevents the reminders from getting staggered. It used to drive me crazy waiting for the Mac to pop up a reminder up to three seconds after the Palm. When that starts to happen, I know to do a synch, so it's a reminder to back up the Palm.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
If you have any intention of using the Palm with wireless, make certain the one you buy will allow it. I just went looking on a whim last night and found that I can't add wireless to my Tunsten E. Minor peeve.

On the bright side, the ability to slip in SD cards is truly liberating. Makes it easy to dump all kinds of stuff on there w/o having to agonize over it.

The Palm probably comes with MobileDB (a little database app) - it's worth visiting their site for a few other useful databases.

BDicty is a useful dictionary app that has several foreign languages available at moderate prices. I forget their earl but plug the name into Google and it shouldn't be hard to find. With a name like that, who needs SEO? ;-)
My Tungsten T (I thought it was the first Tungsten) has Bluetooth. Unfortunately, my Mac doesn't, without a bit of hardware that I am too ikey to buy.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg

The only wireless kind of technology I intend to use the Palm with is Bluetooth and ordered all our new machines with same installed. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road, but I think for now I'll be quite happy without email and surfing on my PDA.

Quote:

MobileDB, eh? Haven't seen mention of that one before. Must be something added to the OS since I bought my long-in-the-tooth Palm IIIc way back when.

BDicty is also intriguing. I found it here via a little Googling like you suggested. I haven't been able to find yet how easy it is to create custom "dictionaries" (or I think the BDicty developers call them "lexicons"). Once upon a time the forum had a handy (to me, at least) PDF created by one-time member Marie Slater that was an English <-> Italian miniature dictionary of publishing terms. I'd hoped we'd find others around the world who'd create the same for other languages like Spanish, French and German for starters. It would be very nice to have them all, very portable, in a PDA format like BDicty. Don't you think?

Old 04-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I use the Palm Desktop for synching, and Entourage to link to the various Palm apps. It all works for me.
So you're synching to Palm Desktop and Entourage, and therefore the info ends up in two different apps at once? Hm. I'm not sure I understand. See, for all this time the only thing I've known is Palm Desktop and Memo, ToDo, Datebook and AddressBook get synched to/from Desktop, Desktop being the place I access and edit all that info when I'm at my computer.

Or are you simply using HotSync software that comes with Desktop and not the actual Palm Desktop app itself?

Quote:
I also use a time synch program because the Palm gains time, but the Mac gets its time from a time server. Synching the Palm to the Mac prevents the reminders from getting staggered. It used to drive me crazy waiting for the Mac to pop up a reminder up to three seconds after the Palm. When that starts to happen, I know to do a synch, so it's a reminder to back up the Palm.
So the time synch program forces the Palm to match up with the Mac's clock sometime during the synch process? Do you know the name of the software?

Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
My Tungsten T (I thought it was the first Tungsten) has Bluetooth. Unfortunately, my Mac doesn't, without a bit of hardware that I am too ikey to buy.
In my case I've just had the luxury of being able to plan for that. When I bought the new Macs I made sure they all came with Bluetooth factory installed. See, any synch problems I've had over the years have been due to wired connections from the cradle to the Mac and now I'm determined to have multiple ways to back up my info -- if Bluetooth somehow craps out on me sometime, I can fall back to a wired/USB connection or vice versa.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
In my case I've just had the luxury of being able to plan for that. When I bought the new Macs I made sure they all came with Bluetooth factory installed. See, any synch problems I've had over the years have been due to wired connections from the cradle to the Mac and now I'm determined to have multiple ways to back up my info -- if Bluetooth somehow craps out on me sometime, I can fall back to a wired/USB connection or vice versa.
I had horrendous synching problems with my original Palm, which was serial and complicated. This is why I lost everything when my Palm was stolen. This one is USB and works very, very well. It plugs into the keyboard, and so isn't involved in all the hub plugging and unplugging that goes on.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Or are you simply using HotSync software that comes with Desktop and not the actual Palm Desktop app itself?
Yeah, that's it. That's what I do. <g>

Quote:
So the time synch program forces the Palm to match up with the Mac's clock sometime during the synch process? Do you know the name of the software?
It's called TimeCopy, and it's free!

Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

That's very encouraging. Once I get things set up on the PDA the way I need them, I get very dependent on it working properly. If there are glitches that could jeopardize my data and hours put into it, I get very nervous.