DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Best Mouse Pad

Okay, don't get mad at me. You are going to be underwhelmed. For the last several years I have been using a sheet of printer paper as a mouse pad. It never fails. The ball never slips.

Each sheet doesn't last long. But there is no waste of paper. I use a sheet from my printer that I was going to throw out anyway.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Benwiggy

Your mouse has a ball?

There's no need for any sort of pad with an optical mouse. Any flat surface works well. (Though I've now given up on mice for a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet.)

My worst memory of ball mice was having to clean the cruft of the rollers every once in a while. Urgh. Mouse cruft.

There's the old story of the first mice at Xerox PARC, where the engineers would use alcohol sprays to clean the dirt from the mouse ball. However, this would statically charge the mouse ball, so it would attract even more cruft. So the engineers would reach for the alcohol spray more frequently. Eventually, the mouse would need alcohol so often that it would be declared "drunk", and had to go in an ultrasonic bath to remove the static charge - "rehab".
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

What am I saying!!! I don't have a mouse. I have an optical mouse. And for some reason, it works on the white piece of paper but doesn't always work on my ivory color desktop.

BTW, the funny thing about cleaning the mouse balls is that was usually not the problems. It was usually the rollers the ball pressed against. But the instructions never mentioned that.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
sky4forums

Mouse pad? What mouse pad? Oh right, I use a trackball on all my computers. (-:

Old 09-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
benwiggy: Eventually, the mouse would need alcohol so often that it would be declared "drunk", and had to go in an ultrasonic bath to remove the static charge - "rehab".
ROFL!!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
BobRoosth

I can't laugh. The first mouse I used (MS, I think) worked best on a sheet of slightly textured paper that I waxed (you do remember waxers, don't you?) to the Formica desktop. I hated the feel of the rubber mouse pads that were common and they were all too small (at least smaller than 8.5"x11").

These days I like a very thin micro-fiber pad (7.5x11) made by Allsop. Solid black, but my optical mouse is happy, as is my hand.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
There's no need for any sort of pad with an optical mouse. Any flat surface works well.
Hm, not my experience with optical mice. I'm not always certain exactly why I need a pad with mine ... not sure if it's the texture or the color of the surface ... but there are definitely some flat surfaces that require the addition of a pad in order to prevent cursor skipping or whatever you want to call it. Very annoying!

Quote:
There's the old story of the first mice at Xerox PARC, where the engineers would use alcohol sprays to clean the dirt from the mouse ball. However, this would statically charge the mouse ball, so it would attract even more cruft. So the engineers would reach for the alcohol spray more frequently. Eventually, the mouse would need alcohol so often that it would be declared "drunk", and had to go in an ultrasonic bath to remove the static charge - "rehab".
LOL!!!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote