DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 08-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Food talk: eggplants, et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
But now I see what I did
And the resulting photo looks very inviting. Almost inviting enough for me to do the conversions and try it.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
And the resulting photo looks very inviting. Almost inviting enough for me to do the conversions and try it.
Check your library for a copy of Nancy Harmon Jenkins’s Cusina del Sole: A celebration of southern Italian cooking. Maybe the publisher did the conversions for you.

But caponata is not a cake or something that requires great care — you should be able to work from this recipe.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Not in any of the libraries around here, so I'll put the ingredients on the shopping list for next weekend. Does it keep for a day or so in the fridge?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Not in any of the libraries around here, so I'll put the ingredients on the shopping list for next weekend. Does it keep for a day or so in the fridge?
More than a day or so — a week, probably. Everything in it is cooked (or doesn’t need cooking, like the olives). The eggplant is probably the weakest link.

It is a great appetizer or side dish. Some people put it on pasta or a pizza.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Does look superb. I wonder what it would be like made with courgettes rather than aubergines. There's a southern Italian saying that anything made with aubergines can be made better with courgettes and we have a glut of courgettes in the garden.

Are golden raisins what we call sultanas?

Just a thought but would it be possible to have a print style sheet that gave a 1-inch left margin so the printed pages could be hole punched for a ring binder. I know you like style sheet challenges.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Does look superb. I wonder what it would be like made with courgettes rather than aubergines. There's a southern Italian saying that anything made with aubergines can be made better with courgettes and we have a glut of courgettes in the garden.
I don’t know how well it would do — cougettes (summer squash to us) contain a lot more water. You would definitely need to salt them for a while first.

They also have a less assertive flavor, and I wonder if the anchovies, raisins, celery, tomatoes, and all might not over-power them. But worth a try.

I also posted a recipe for stuffed eggplant; that definitely works with courgettes as well. Most Turkish cookbooks first list all the fillings, then all the things to stuff, and eggplants and squash are both recommended.

Quote:
Are golden raisins what we call sultanas?
I think so. These are very large yellow raisins and my impression is that sultanas are small and perhaps more golden than yellow. But any should work.

Quote:
Just a thought but would it be possible to have a print style sheet that gave a 1-inch left margin so the printed pages could be hole punched for a ring binder. I know you like style sheet challenges.
I mean to make a print css file, but haven’t gotten to it. Maybe later this week if no surprises get in my way. In the meantime I suggest you copy the recipe and paste it into a text editor, and then print. Skips the color background, etc., and lets you have any margin you know how to set.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

Quote:
I don’t know how well it would do — cougettes (summer squash to us) contain a lot more water. You would definitely need to salt them for a while first.
I wonder whether pressing them between a couple of sheets of blotting paper or kitchen towel would work.

Quote:
They also have a less assertive flavor, and I wonder if the anchovies, raisins, celery, tomatoes, and all might not over-power them. But worth a try.
Well, of course, we'd be leaving out the anchovies as well. We sometimes adapt meat-base recipes by substituting mushrooms for the meat but haven't yet found a vegetarian alternative for anchovies.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I wonder whether pressing them between a couple of sheets of blotting paper or kitchen towel would work.
Not in my experience. Vegetables, on the average, are about 90% water. I think summer squash are about 98.5%!

If you salt them (cut them in half or otherwise expose the interior), and put salt on them, and let them sit for half an hour. (If they are flat enough, you can put a towel on them with a cutting board on top, weighted with a couple of cans of something to increase the effect. Works for eggplants, but not sure courgettes would take it.)

Then rinse them off (I know, sounds counter-intuitive), pat them dry with a paper towel, and use them in your recipe.

Quote:
Well, of course, we'd be leaving out the anchovies as well. We sometimes adapt meat-base recipes by substituting mushrooms for the meat but haven't yet found a vegetarian alternative for anchovies.
Ah! Forgot that part.

Two strong flavorings I sometimes use when serving vegetarians dishes that normally have meat in them: dried shiitaki mushrooms (reconstituted) or sun-dried tomatoes. I use the mushrooms when making spaghetti carbonara for non-carnivores, and it works well.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Howard Allen

Quote:
We...haven't yet found a vegetarian alternative for anchovies.
How about scraping some black algal slime off the bottoms of rocks in a stagnant pond? It would look and smell the same, and couldn't possibly taste any worse than anchovies!

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Howard:
Quote:
How about scraping some black algal slime off the bottoms of rocks in a stagnant pond? It would look and smell the same, and couldn't possibly taste any worse than anchovies!
I'm sure that if Lea won't sue you for libel, Perrins will!