DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #20
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I generally convert all the double quotes to single quotes after importing the typescript into inDesign.
Then, of course, the proofreader has to mark all the quotes-within-quotes so I can convert them to double-quotes since I've not found any way of automating that part of the process.
That's where grep searching works wonders.

I often find that what is described as "UK vs. US style" is often neither, with traditions on both sides of the pond using either (or both).
For instance, these days, everyone would have it that UK English uses 'ise', and US favours 'ize'. However, a quick glance at the OED shows 'ize' to be the preferred spelling for most words, and that there was a short list of exceptions which took 'ise'.

There's even a TV episode of Inspector Morse from the early 80s, where he reports that a suicide note must have been faked, because "no Oxford man would spell realize with an S".

But these days, all spell checkers suggest 'ise' for UK English, and everyone looks at me strangely when I tell them it's wrong!
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote