DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Kindle 2 article (New Yorker)

Nicholson Baker has written a good article on Amazon’s Kindle 2 in the August 3, 2009 issue of he New Yorker: “A New Page: Can the Kindle really improve on the book?

He is an excellent writer (remember Vox, or Human Smoke)?, so the piece is fun to read. He talks about the history of the Kindle and the epaper technology, about the availability (and not) of books for the device, and about the reading experience.

Nicholson says that the developers of the E Ink used in the Kindle (and the Sony reader) wanted to make pages that reflect (like real paper), rather than emit (like a computer screen). He is not persuaded. He found it hard to immerse himself in Kindle books (and so do I, in fact), and found he prefers to read fiction on his iPod Touch. He would like it better at higher resolution, however.

There is a live discussion with Baker going on right now (from 3 p.m. July 29) at the New Yorker blog site. (Not positive it is open to the public, as I am a subscriber; but it didn’t ask me to log in.) The online article may also be be available to all readers (and if not the print issue should be on newsstands now).