DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default Windows 7

My newspaper says that Windows XP7 is now being made available to manufacturers of PCs, and that you can pre-book a copy for download yourself. Vista doesn't seem to have been a big success.

I shall have to do something about my ancient PC soon, it is getting so slow. But established wisdom says that when a program is released exactly 50% of the bugs have been surfaced; the rest await the innocent end-user who creates finger trouble the authors never thought possible. So perhaps to wait till about October before upgrading.

Or perhaps now to download a copy of XP6 and clean all the old tat out of the disk.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

It is simply Windows 7 - no XP in the name. Really it should be called Vista2 or Vista GT as it looks like Vista but is a lot faster.

I tested the beta of IE7 on an old laptop and it worked very well. That machine now has the RC version of Win7 installed and despite being underpowered with an old Pentium single core & 1Gb memory is actually pretty fast. I also installed it on a more recent "Media" PC that used the media version of XP and it simply flies.

I will certainly be upgrading both machines to the full versions. In the meantime the "free" RC version will continue to operate untill March/April next year.

No sign of any bugs yet.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
richard: I shall have to do something about my ancient PC soon, it is getting so slow. But established wisdom says that when a program is released exactly 50% of the bugs have been surfaced; the rest await the innocent end-user who creates finger trouble the authors never thought possible. So perhaps to wait till about October before upgrading.
As Kelvyn noted, it's just "Windows 7" and if Maximum PC is worth listening to--I think so--they are quite impressed with W7 and have lots and lots of good things to say about it. So much so, that I'm considering having a new system built using it but I'd probably wait until a bit after October to have this done...

Terrie

PS...Richard would you like me to change the thread title to "Windows 7" for you?
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Terrie:
Quote:
So much so, that I'm considering having a new system built using it
I'm impressed too after reading all the good things that have been said about Windows 7; but the price is a deterrent! Another thing that I'm cursing is the removal of IE8 and the media application; I did'nt mind in the least being 'forced' by Microsoft to accept them for nothing.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: but the price is a deterrent!
I can't remember what I read about pricing...

>>Another thing that I'm cursing is the removal of IE8 and the media application; I did'nt mind in the least being 'forced' by Microsoft to accept them for nothing.

I don't know what this means. W7 won't come with IE? Which media application(s)?

Terrie
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
BobRoosth

Every report about Windows 7 is glowing. As far as I am concerned, it really should Vista SP2 and given away. But M$ didn't ask my opinion.

I would not purchase it to upgrade an old machine, at least not more than a year or two. But buying one now with Vista and Win 7 upgrade rights might be a good plan if you need a machine now.

That said, some testers have put it on netbooks where XP Home is the default, not Vista. They report it runs as quickly as XP.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Richard would you like me to change the thread title to "Windows 7" for you?
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I don't know what this means. W7 won't come with IE? Which media application(s)?
In Europe it was ruled unfair that Windows shipped with IE pre-installed so it is stripped of IE7 out for sale over here. Theoretically users can decide which browser(s) they would like to install.

Also there is a long running argument between the EU commissioners and MS over its exclusive digital rights management technology in Windows Media Player. This started before Vista was launched.

Not really issues, as other browsers & media players are freely available to install, but the legal people will be watching to see how MS tries to ensure that people here go on to install IE8 in their new Win7 PC - as they surely will.

The result of this is that the EU version of Win7 will not be available as an upgrade, but only as a new install. And will be more expensive....

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Terrie:
Quote:
The result of this is that the EU version of Win7 will not be available as an upgrade, but only as a new install. And will be more expensive [Kelvyn}
Kelvyn has explained, better than I ccould, the difference between the European version (marked E) and the other version (marked N). But Microsoft is offering either version a the same price, although that may be just a smokescreen: Amazon UK is offering the E version substantially cheaper. I wondered why there's no upgrade version, but I suppose that's to stop wicked people from trying to keep Internet Explorer and Media Player on their computers. And it's all down to that bloody Dutchwoman (Neelie, not Marjolein).

Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
richard: Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
Done and you're welcome...'-}}

Terrie