DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Walter Cronkite 1916 – 2009

I know it is stretching a point to suggest that Walter Cronkite had anything to do with publishing. He was never a print sort of guy. But if you are an American old enough to remember the 1960s, ’70s, or early ’80s, you probably cannot think of the news without thinking of Walter Cronkite.

He told us about John F. Kennedy’s assassination. He covered the marches and political issues surrounding the Vietnam war. He reported on the Democratic convention in Chicago in 1968. He was our eyes and ears during the Nixon saga.

If you are of a certain age, and if you owned a TV set, you have memories of Walter Cronkite, who died today at 92. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by ktinkel; 07-19-2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Fixed his age
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
sky4forums

In my teens I spent summers with my grandparents. When 6PM rolled around there was no question which evening news we watched. My grandfather watched Cronkite on CBS. There was no other choice. In 1969 I stayed up late watching the moon landing with Mr. Cronkite.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky4forums View Post
In my teens I spent summers with my grandparents. When 6PM rolled around there was no question which evening news we watched. My grandfather watched Cronkite on CBS. There was no other choice. In 1969 I stayed up late watching the moon landing with Mr. Cronkite.
We did not watch TV much during the 60s and 70s, so unfortunately missed his heyday. But we certainly watched him narrate several signal events, including the moon landing. Jack was working at NYU in 1969 and friends threw a moon party so about 20 of us were together watching Cronkite and the men on the moon.

I think he was a unique character in any event, but his working life also happened to include many momentous events, from the assassinations to the War in Vietnam.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And don't forget the show he used to narrate in the late 50s/early 60s, You Are There.

(It's better to date yourself than to date strangers, I figure)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
And don't forget the show he used to narrate in the late 50s/early 60s, You Are There.
Right. I certainly remember the name, and have a sort of memory of what the show was like, but I did not have access to TV much until the 70s.

Cronkite definitely left a strong impression.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: (It's better to date yourself than to date strangers, I figure)
LOL!!! Tooo true...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
sky: In 1969 I stayed up late watching the moon landing with Mr. Cronkite.
During the summer of 1969, I had my first job. It was gawdawful. I was a waitress at a Howard Johnson's restaurant making I think $.33/hour (yes...that's cents!) plus tips and my manager truly believed that if man had been meant to fly, god would have given man wings...

Fortunately, I wasn't working on July 20th and 21st so I was able to watch the tv coverage (I'm pretty sure we watched CBS) of the landing which I thought was sooo exciting--still do.

My dad worked for NASA in Greenbelt, MD and I have the plaque he was given for the Apollo 11 mission and his Operations Control badge for Apollo 14. Pretty cool stuff...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote