DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
johnnyboy

Default Scanner

I have a need for a scanner to digitise my family history records, photos and other financial documents. I will need some sort of document feeder as there are and will be quite a lot. A flatbed would be better as some of the family history material might be damaged if it was to be passed through a scanner. Earlier forum posts seem to favour the Epsons 4490 and V500. Reviews on the net seem to be quite good for the 4490 and particularly good for the V500. I wondered if the users of these two were still satisfied. Comments about other makes would also be appreciated.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I am very pleased with my V500 Photo (my third Epson scanner over 15 years or so), but I do not have (nor have I ever seen) the ADF. This David Stone review in PC Mag does mention it, and sort of describes the way it works.

I am not sure how any document feeder avoids passing pages through. You might to look into that.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Look at the offerings by Canon.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
johnnyboy

Here in Australia I can buy the Epson 4490 for about $350 and the V500 for $430. An automatic document feeder is the same accessory for both models and costs an additional $330. I have come to the conclusion a much cheaper option would be a Canon Multifunction MP980 Printer which will do the same jobs for about $400. I have some reservations about a machine which combines tasks but the reviews seem to be good. Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Have you checked the Australian ebay for both the scanners and the document feeder--I'll bet you might find at least the document feeder for less there.

I'm partial to Epson scanners and I don't know anything about Canon scanners and I've always been leery of multifunction devices however, the price difference is significant enough that the Canon seems a reasonable approach although I'd want to see it in person before buying--how sturdy is the doc feeder on the canon and how many pages does it feed?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
BobRoosth

I have the 4490. Very happy with it.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

At one time there was something different between the "scanning chip" (light sensitive element) on Canon scanners and on others -- I can't remember much but they were completely different chips on Canon and had some disadvantages.

But this is a hazy memory going back to long ago.

The Photography Forum on Compuserve has a lot of knowledge about scanners ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
johnnyboy

Thank you all for your comments. I have settled on the Canon Pixma MP980 as I got what I thought was a very good deal at A$358. Time will tell if it was a wise decision.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I have settled on the Canon Pixma MP980 as I got what I thought was a very good deal at A$358. Time will tell if it was a wise decision.
Do let us know how it goes for you.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
johnnyboy

I certainly will Kathleen. However I won't be putting it to work yet as we will be here in northern NSW until late September. My main place of abode is in Tasmania, where I have much more room to work. I bought it here because this type of item can be bought much cheaper than in Tasmania. We drive back, which is just as well because it weighs in excess of 10 kgs.