DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Network Solutions Domain Name

A client has her domain name registered with Network Solutions through 2013. Looking at the WHOIS, I learn that Network Solutions has its own email addresses instead of hers for Administrative Contact.

Is there any way to leave Network Solutions as the registrar?

Beyond that, right now the website is not hosted, so Network Solutions uses the domain name for their own advertising revenue, which my client does not like. So, should there be any difficulty getting the website hosted elsewhere?

Experience counts in this kind of thing, and quite frankly, NS does not have a good reputation.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,707
Default

There are lots of other domain registration companies; some time back, I transferred a couple of domains from NetSol to EasyDNS.com

I don't recall the exact steps I had to follow, but it was pain-free (ISTR that I followed the instrux on one of EasyDNS' FAQ pages).

I'd guess that any registrar will provide some kind of "parking" page for non-hosted pages, but you can probably buy a forwarding account that sends traffic to any page of your choice, on some other host. IOW, you could set up a page or pages on your own site for your client's web page traffic to land on.

Or just point the domain at an inexpensive hosting company like myhosting.com or the like and put up a few real pages there.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Admin contact reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
There are lots of other domain registration companies; some time back, I transferred a couple of domains from NetSol to EasyDNS.com

I don't recall the exact steps I had to follow, but it was pain-free (ISTR that I followed the instrux on one of EasyDNS' FAQ pages).

I'd guess that any registrar will provide some kind of "parking" page for non-hosted pages, but you can probably buy a forwarding account that sends traffic to any page of your choice, on some other host. IOW, you could set up a page or pages on your own site for your client's web page traffic to land on.

Or just point the domain at an inexpensive hosting company like myhosting.com or the like and put up a few real pages there.
Most if not all domain name registration companies require an answer from the Admin Contact email address, which I already said that NS controls. I don't know if my client has the information to access the registration and change the pointer to a hosting company. Fortunately, we are not in any hurry to make use of this domain name. I need to get going on WordPress first, and then do a website for this domain name.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Most if not all domain name registration companies require an answer from the Admin Contact email address, which I already said that NS controls. I don't know if my client has the information to access the registration and change the pointer to a hosting company. Fortunately, we are not in any hurry to make use of this domain name. I need to get going on WordPress first, and then do a website for this domain name.
The name holder has the right to transfer unless the registration is not really his (some web hosts offering free registration retain the ownership, or used to, in which case there might need to be a fight).

There is a clear statement of the transfer policy at ICANN.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,498
Default

If your client is in a contract through 2013, then it is not just so simple to change. She might have to give up the fees for those years. If I were in this situation, I'd call Network solutions and try to straighten out the admin information. Every time I've spoken with them, they were very helpful.

Another possibility is for her to find her email that explains how to log into her control panel. Then fix it from there.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
If your client is in a contract through 2013, then it is not just so simple to change. She might have to give up the fees for those years. If I were in this situation, I'd call Network solutions and try to straighten out the admin information. Every time I've spoken with them, they were very helpful.
You can change the domain registrar anytime. David needs to know whether she has just paid for the domain registration up until 2013 or whether she is paying by the year for Network Solutions to manage the domain for her.

The cut-price registrars will charge little or nothing to transfer a domain registration in.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,707
Default

>> Most if not all domain name registration companies require an answer from the Admin Contact email address, which I already said that NS controls.

Sounds about right; and at the time I made the transfer, I think NS was still Admin Contact. From all I'd heard, I was concerned that they'd hold things up, but it didn't turn out that way.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff
 
Kelvyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the Heart of the English Lake District
Posts: 1,381
Default

I'm pretty sure that Netsol has a domain admin area for registrants where the nameservers can be changed and where the lock can be removed before requesting transfer if that is to be done.

To transfer to a different registrar requires a reply from the registrant or the admin contact, either can approve the process.

   
__________________
Kelvyn

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Domains and Network Solutions Kelvyn Web Site Building & Maintenance 3 01-25-2008 10:32 AM
FlashChat and other Chat solutions Andrew B. Web Site Building & Maintenance 3 10-26-2007 11:04 AM
Network Neutrality dthomsen8 The Corner Pub 3 07-09-2006 08:06 AM
Inquiry about OCR/IDR solutions BizWriter General Publishing Topics 0 06-28-2006 05:12 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.