DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default Has Acrobat changed

Suddenly my pdf files are producing pages that do not back up properly when printed double-sided.

My pdfs are produced from inDesign. Everything used to be fine. If I printed a pdf double-sided then the crop marks would coincide within the thickness of the mark. Suddenly there's a 5mm discrepancy - a portrait page is out by about 5mm horizontally.

The problem was pointed out by a publisher who can no longer produce bound proofs from my files on their in-house system. He suggested there might be something wrong with my Acrobat settings. However, I've checked a couple of old pdfs that I know backed up perfectly some time ago and they seem to now exhibit the same problem. As far as I know I have changed nothing on my system except maybe accepted automatic Adobe updates that seem to flow in about once a week.

However, whatever is happening seems to be happening on the publisher's in-house system as well as mine. This is a serious problem for both of us - they need to be able to produce bound proofs and I need to keep them as a client as they provide the bulk of my income.

The pages seem to be OK when sent to the print shop - presumably their imposition software lines up the pages from the crop marks.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Benwiggy

So when you print double-sided, the back page is out of register by 5mm?
When you print single-sided, are the pages correct?
What happens if you make a PDF without crop/trim marks and bleed?
What happens if you print directly from InDesign to your printer, including crop marks?

You'll also want to check all the various different box sizes in the PDF: TrimBox, ArtBox, CropBox, MediaBox, etc. in case one of them is out of kilter. You can do this in Acrobat.

Which version of InDesign and Acrobat are you using? What platform?
When you print the PDFs, are you using Acrobat, or other software?
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Mike:
Quote:
Suddenly my pdf files are producing pages that do not back up properly when printed double-sided.
Acrobat 9 was updated (this week, for me) to v. 9.1.2; possibly your Acrobat has been updated too, even if it is not v. 9.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

I've not had a chance to try Benwiggy's suggestions (too many interruptions this afternoon) but I will do.

One odd thing I've noticed is that some old pdf files that used to be OK now print out of register - whether printed from the Mac I normally use, a Mac that hasn't been switched on for six months or more, or a Windows machine. I'd assume is was something to do with the printer (a Ricoh PS3 laser) except for the fact that the publisher is experiencing the same thing printing my pdfs to their in-house printer.

Oh well, more tests to do over the weekend.

www.welshframing.com
Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I've not had a chance to try Benwiggy's suggestions (too many interruptions this afternoon) but I will do.

One odd thing I've noticed is that some old pdf files that used to be OK now print out of register - whether printed from the Mac I normally use, a Mac that hasn't been switched on for six months or more, or a Windows machine. I'd assume is was something to do with the printer (a Ricoh PS3 laser) except for the fact that the publisher is experiencing the same thing printing my pdfs to their in-house printer.

Oh well, more tests to do over the weekend.
Odd perhaps, but good. That narrows down the range of finger-pointing targets considerably.

- It isn't the PDFs themselves because they haven't changed

- It isn't the printer drivers/hardware. VERY unlikely that multiple printers/drivers on multiple operating systems would suddenly develop the same set of symptoms.

Can you revert to an older version of Acrobat or install an older Reader on another machine and print from it as a test?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Can you revert to an older version of Acrobat or install an older Reader on another machine and print from it as a test?
I've done that and the problems remain. I'm wondering whether I maybe previously printed bound proofs directly from inDesign. I'll have to try that option.

It's odd that the publisher seems to have recently found the same problem as they, of course, have only ever been supplied with Acrobat files. I'll have to have a chat with them on Monday to find out whether it's only my Acrobat files that cause the problem or whether anything has changed in their setup.

Watch this space...

www.welshframing.com