DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Email Marketing Packages

I have a web site client who wants an Email marketing package, and she wants it right away. I am in the uncomfortable position of having to tell her that she can't have it today. Also any package she selects will take weeks or months to get the whole membership list functioning, because every company that does this requires an affirmative response from the member before more Email can be sent.

Here are two examples of such packages:
For $19.95 per month, for less than 500 members on list.
www.aweber.com

For $15.00 per month, for less than 501 members on list,
And $30.00 per month, for 501-2500 members on list.
www.constantcontact.com

Please provide me with any more examples that you have used and would rate as satisfactory. Also, please confirm my observation that sending out a newsletter immediately (today!) is not possible with such packages. Beyond that, most ISPs do not allow you to send out hundreds of emails at one time.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 05-20-2009 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

It is not just about price that you need to think, but also quality of service, availability of customisable templates and ease of use. With a commercial supplier you do not have to worry about ISP mail rules as they use their own services.

Mailchimp comes highly recommended. http://www.mailchimp.com/

If you want to run the program yourself then Pommo is pretty good (and FOS) http://pommo.org

You may be able to get around opt-in spam rules by adding something like "This is a sample email from xxxxx - if you wish to receive no more mail click here, or click here to set your mail preferences"

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

If you really must do HTML emails Constant Contact is a convenient option. A friend of mine who is using email marketing rather a lot is very happy with it.
But you still have to set it up and design your mailings before you can send anything to anyone.

She wants it today? What's wrong with yesterday!?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
It is not just about price that you need to think, but also quality of service, availability of customisable templates and ease of use. With a commercial supplier you do not have to worry about ISP mail rules as they use their own services.

If you want to run the program yourself then Pommo is pretty good (and FOS) http://pommo.org

You may be able to get around opt-in spam rules by adding something like "This is a sample email from xxxxx - if you wish to receive no more mail click here, or click here to set your mail preferences"
The MailChimp site tells me a lot of worthwhile information, including the important ability to tell who signed up, who didn't, and other statistics. They even have a discount for non-profits. Thank you very much.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
If you really must do HTML emails Constant Contact is a convenient option. A friend of mine who is using email marketing rather a lot is very happy with it.
But you still have to set it up and design your mailings before you can send anything to anyone.

She wants it today? What's wrong with yesterday!?
Actually, I just learned that what is wanted is a way to sign up on their website today, not a mailing today. Some clients tell you what they need, others are vague until you talk to them on the phone. Worse, in this situation, is that two different people were contacting me, and that resulted in bad communications.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

At least that is a bit more realistic.

Usually clients want everything yesterday, and all we seemingly have to do is to press a button to have web sites and all sorts of stuff just appearing out of thin air.

Sorry; I am in one of those sarcastic moods today.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Mailchimp makes me jump through hoops to get started. They want an email address from a privately controlled website, where I would communicate with them. Alternatively, they want a text message sent back from a cell phone number that I provide to them. These are inconvenient choices. I have never sent any text from my wife's cell phone, and don't even know how to do it, not an option I would pursue. I am going to try the privately controlled website method, but I find that annoying and incovenient, too, especially on a continuing basis.

Maybe every company with this service does this kind of thing to keep out the SPAMmers, but they are almost succeeding in keeping a legitimate client, me, out, too.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

They have to be very careful to avoid spammer signups. In fact if a mailing company did not do such checks then I would steer very clear of them. On the couple of occasions I have set up such a system for clients I have created my own email account on the client domain to confirm integrity.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Now that I have installed the form for MailChimp yesterday, their deadline, and the first person has signed up on the form, I have objections to the MailChimp name, and also one of the client board members wants to use a different service. If they won't communicate promptly when I have a very tight deadline, too bad, they had better accept what I did for them, or pay for doing it over.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Now that I have installed the form for MailChimp yesterday, their deadline, and the first person has signed up on the form, I have objections to the MailChimp name, and also one of the client board members wants to use a different service. If they won't communicate promptly when I have a very tight deadline, too bad, they had better accept what I did for them, or pay for doing it over.
Don’t you love working for a committee?

Have strength and patience.