DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Unfortunately, your text is line art, and compression is probably what messed it up, especially if you are also reducing from the original size.
I was wondering about that. Very good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Do you have the maps in their original size? You could try using Photoshop to reduce them to print size before placing them in ID. It offers much more control than auto-scaling functions generally do.
The maps are all vector graphic PDFs (aside from the JPEG one with the Acrobat elements added on top). For instance, the document setup for one particular map is it at roughly 10"x11". This map will be used as both a large fold-out (at about 10.5"x12") and inside the visitors guide (at about 7.5"x8.5"). At this point, I've been just placing the vector map PDFs, with little concern over their original sizes, into InDesign and rescaling the placed versions.

So given these specs, would you suggest I open the vector PDFs in Photoshop (in effect, rasterizing them) at 200 resolution, scale them to actual print size (making separate versions for both the large fold-out map and the smaller visitors guide), and save them as TIFFs or PDFs? If so, would the rasterization make any difference, or could I simply rescale them in Illustrator and keep them as PDFs (without compressing line art, of course)?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote