DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 04-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Where is it?

Starting with searching Google for "mint", who knows where something is at?

I started here, no hint about where this is:

http://mintwiki.pbwiki.com/

So I click on the Mint Museum Library link, but that doesn't help:

http://www.mintmuseum.org/libraries.html

Maybe About the museum will tell me, and it does, North Carolina:

http://www.mintmuseum.org/about-the-museum.html

Finally, Location and Directions provides a map, Charlotte, NC:

http://www.mintmuseum.org/about-the-museum.html

This site has a lot to commend it, but the location? Shhhh!

Even Admissions, Hours and Parking doesn't say Charlotte, NC:

http://www.mintmuseum.org/admissions-hours-parking.html
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
sky4forums

Quote:
This site has a lot to commend it, but the location? Shhhh!
So did you leave feedback on the site complaining about the problem?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Cristen Gillespie

If you were looking, the second link takes you to the site. Click on Home and scroll down the page a little. On the left is the Mint Museum of Art with an address, phone and link. The link is to a big map.

So I'm not sure why you had problems? It doesn't seem like they were hiding where they were???

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
If you were looking, the second link takes you to the site. Click on Home and scroll down the page a little. On the left is the Mint Museum of Art with an address, phone and link. The link is to a big map.

So I'm not sure why you had problems? It doesn't seem like they were hiding where they were???
My point is that many people start out on a page well below the Home page, and may not immediately go to the Home page, which admittedly tells the story. I would expect every page to say where the museum is at, unless the name of the museum says the whole story. We know that the Philadelphia Museum of Art is in Philadelphia by the name.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
iamback

Three clicks: from the wiki, to the Library page, to the Contact page - exactly where I would expect a location! Certainly not on every page.

Of course, searching for "mint" you would likely also have found a page for the Linux distribution by that name - and much else. What exactly were you looking for? A (the) mint, or a museum, or something else?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Richard Waller

This is familiar ground on commercial sites. You have great difficulty finding out which continent they are on. It really would help if everyone put name address phone on the bottom of every page. But not on domestic sites; keep it just to town in case someone comes and steals your dog.

On the homepage, the best site for this had Call: . . . Click: . . . Come In: . . .

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
iamback

Well, here we have the address both on the home page and on the contact page - I think that's plenty good enough.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
My point is that many people start out on a page well below the Home page, and may not immediately go to the Home page, which admittedly tells the story. I would expect every page to say where the museum is at, unless the name of the museum says the whole story. We know that the Philadelphia Museum of Art is in Philadelphia by the name.
I guess I don't have the same expectations. Maybe I should<g>, but I don't see why a site visitor can't be expected to go to the Home Page, available, it seems, from every page, if they want to find site information, such as where the concern is located.

Having an entire Visit section on the Home page seems to cover it for me. I've been to lots of sites that have less information on their Home page.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Richard:
Quote:
This is familiar ground on commercial sites. You have great difficulty finding out which continent they are on
If you're selling anything, you have to give your address (and other information) in the UK, and, I think, the EU. Perhaps Kelvyn's message on this topic hasn't sunk in, though it was some time ago.

Funnily enough, Google doesn't give the most common mention of mint (Mentha) until about the third page. Whatever happened to the mint julep?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Richard:
If you're selling anything, you have to give your address (and other information) in the UK, and, I think, the EU. Perhaps Kelvyn's message on this topic hasn't sunk in, though it was some time ago.
It has indeed sunk in - in fact I've been researching what the Dutch rules are for (business) Internet sites (I found it depends on whether it's a web shop or another business site), and in the course of this research I went back to this forum and searched for Kelvyn's post about this.

So now I know there is actually a EU directive about it (which I have yet to track down), and it's up to each EU country to implement that in law (or decree, or directive - as long as it has legal power). The Dutch law (etc...) about this is extremely hard to find... As a result, not many people here know what exactly the rules are (including, still, me!), or even that there are rules! No wonder that only a small percentage of Dutch business websites (especially those of smaller businesses) give any evidence of any attempt to follow "rules", I've seen even web shops that do not list an address. But it's highly probable that the rules for a web shop are more stringent than for a general business site, so if you follow those, you can't be wrong.

Once I have all the info together, I'll publish an article about it. The next step will be to find out how various EU countries are implementing the EU directive.

Of course, the rules I have found (about webshops, also very hard to find) do not state anything about where the required information should be placed, only that it has to be available. For a web shop, the general conditions also have to be in a user-printable form, and consultable before an order is finalized.