DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
iamback

Applejack (as expected) sees only the (cloned) drive I can still start up from; resetting the SMC (I tried both methods) did not make any difference at all.

At least I now have Applejeack which may come in handy later...

Off to order a new HD.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
Mike
Staff

My first step would be to try TechTool. It can cure many disk-based problems and is capable of finding lost hard drives.

Personally, I'd advise anyone with a Mac to keep a copy of TechTool handy and run it's disk repair utilities every now and again.

The other handy tool is DiskWarrior. That can sometimes fix problems that TechTool can't - and vice versa.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
My first step would be to try TechTool. It can cure many disk-based problems and is capable of finding lost hard drives.

Personally, I'd advise anyone with a Mac to keep a copy of TechTool handy and run it's disk repair utilities every now and again.

The other handy tool is DiskWarrior. That can sometimes fix problems that TechTool can't - and vice versa.
Forgive me, but I'm sceptical. Both were mentioned in all those threads about disappearing disks, neither was successful.

In addition, neither product can be tested, or even bought as a download - what do they think this is? 1999? (I'm actually stunned they only want to send you a box, or physical DVD - I haven't bought applications that way for years and years. Diskwarrior does have DVD + download, but not download alone. And I don't buy software that I cannot try.) I'm surely not going to spend $99 (or twice that!) just to try if it can find a HD that's most probably just fried. And that's considerably more than a whole new HD that's twice the size of the original!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
Mike
Staff

They're on CD/DVD because they are startup discs. You need to boot the Mac from the CD/DVD in order to rescue the hard drive. Makes sense.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
They're on CD/DVD because they are startup discs. You need to boot the Mac from the CD/DVD in order to rescue the hard drive. Makes sense.
It doesn't make sense to me. All you need is the image (ISO) to burn a CD/DVD from; selling a physical disk as an option is fine, but a download of just an image should be available: no production costs, no shipping costs, no delay.

I've downloaded tons of ISOs and burned them to bootable disks (other repair disks, bootable "live" CDs of Lunux distros...), so seeing only physical disks here is really quaint, and only adds unnecessary cost.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:
Quote:
All you need is the image (ISO) to burn a CD/DVD from
And if you should be in the habit of making CD/DVD disks with the help of your trusty Mac: what then?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> All you need is the image (ISO) to burn a CD/DVD from;

Assuming you have another computer, yes. A lot of people don't have that luxury.

And even if they had another, a lot more people wouldn't have a clue what to do with an ISO.

Still, for those who DO fall into both camps, it'd be a reasonable option to offer; quite apart from the green aspect of it, if your HDD's down, you want it fixed *now*. Not whenever UPS next stops by.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>> All you need is the image (ISO) to burn a CD/DVD from;

Assuming you have another computer, yes. A lot of people don't have that luxury.
Of course - all I'm saying is sending a physical DVD should be an option, not required for everyone as it only adds needless cost if you can burn an image.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Of course - all I'm saying is sending a physical DVD should be an option, not required for everyone as it only adds needless cost if you can burn an image.
Or as I suggested, that a download be an option instead of the DVD.

At a suitably reduced price, of course. That only seems fair.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote