DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 01-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default DTP Forum hits 16

Do you remember 1989?

It is shocking
to realize how long the forum has been around — 16 years, an epoch in computer time. Think how many major changes we have lived through: When we opened our doors on December 12, 1989, PageMaker was at version 2.0a (the first version to support automatic hyphenation and thus the first useful version), Ready,Set,Go! 3 was giving PM a run for its money, and QuarkXPress 1.0.3 had just been released. Illustrator 88 had, despite its name, just come out (for Windows as well as the Mac), and its Bézier curve drawing tools were stunning graphic artists even though it worked only in black-and-white. Adobe had licensed Photoshop from the Knoll brothers but the program would not actually appear until the spring of 1990. And there were lots of commercial fonts available, but the good ones all came from Adobe, through its alliance with Linotype.

The opening salvo in what would become known as “the font wars” had just been fired at the September 1989 meeting of the Seybold publishing conference when Bill Gates announced that Microsoft would adopt TrueType fonts instead of PostScript Type 1. When Windows 3.1 later came out with its inexpensive font packs — thus creating a mass market for fonts and satisfying that demand in a single product release — the DTP Forum got embroiled in its own font wars. And that was just the beginning. (We really need to write a history of this forum.)

Through all the years and all the industry changes, DTP Forum members have exchanged useful and (usually) civil advice with each other. The topics change with the march of technology, but the intelligence and good humor persists. All our members deserve a pat on the back for that.

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-27-2005 at 01:09 PM.
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Why didn't you put your cool logo in this post as you did over in cserve?

I think I found the DTP forum the first time in late 1991 when I got my first modem and signed up for both AOL and Compuserve and quickly dropped the AOL account in favor of cserve because of threading...

My first regular forum was the Horses forum and it was from a friend I made there that I began to roll increasingly more quickly down that slippery slope to acquiring a new pc, Photoshop, a flatbed scanner, a graphics tablet, a slide scanner and a color printer over the next couple of years all to support our equine clipart.

A local friend of mine and I did the initial drawings and my horses forum friend who lived in TX did the scanning after I mailed her the drawings. She then emailed me the scans and I took them into Corel Photopaint 3 which I'd acquired someplace and had no idea how to use but I was able to figure it out and created our initial packages (english riding and western riding images), created our "LTL Images" logo (LTL = Lynne, Terrie, Lynne), created a web page and did all the marketing...

As I wanted to learn more about imagining software and DTP, I stumbled across the DTP and old Adobe forums and became a regular in both...

Been an interesting trip so far...

Terrie

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
’cause I couldn’t figure out how to put it where I wanted it. [blush]

I’ll try to fix it tomorrow.

“Cool logo,” huh? Thanks. I thought no one would appreciate it but me.<g>

Old 01-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

If she's talking about the last one you had up on the other forum, of course we noticed it. Way cool. I had to admire your ability to design so many, in fact, over the short time. I think the last one may be my favorite, but I'd have to see them all side-by-side. My memory isn't accurate enough.

Cristen -- am I signing my name twice?<G>
Cristen Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I just added the logo, but I guess I cannot control its positioning without turning on HTML for the forum.

But it can sit there like that.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

It looks just fine where it is! Cool.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

I was thinking recently about the concerns expressed here in the early 90s about what inexpensive font packs would do the font business. My sense is that the effects have less dire than many of us feared. In fact, it seems to me that more is available at the high end of the market than ever before, not just from the boutique foundries, but from the established vendors as well. I was tickled the other day when I saw comments suggesting that Adobe's Bickham Pro and Linotype's Zapfino were in a head-to-head competition for best contextual substitution in an OpenType script font. That kind of competition is good for all of us.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kowarsky
I was thinking recently about the concerns expressed here in the early 90s about what inexpensive font packs would do the font business. My sense is that the effects have less dire than many of us feared. In fact, it seems to me that more is available at the high end of the market than ever before, not just from the boutique foundries, but from the established vendors as well. I was tickled the other day when I saw comments suggesting that Adobe's Bickham Pro and Linotype's Zapfino were in a head-to-head competition for best contextual substitution in an OpenType script font. That kind of competition is good for all of us.
I agree that the inexpensive font packs — the two from Microsoft, Bitstream’s 500 Fonts for Windows — and the giveaways from Adobe and other vendors did not have a seriously negative effect on high-end fonts. They did cheapen some classic typefaces just by making them so prevalent, but popularity for any reason often has that effect, and trends in typefaces is nothing new.

But for whatever reason there isn’t much money in the font business these days. The reasons there are so many independent type designers is that the large companies don’t have (many) staff designers anymore. What money there is goes mainly to technical production issues.

There is also little money for critical reviews of new typefaces. Hell, there is hardly space for uncritical promotion of new fonts these days. Web views are not nearly as useful as specimen books and catalogs, but that is mostly what we have.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

>> “Cool logo,” huh? Thanks. I thought no one would appreciate it but me.<g>

I liked it a lot...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
nick

Kathleen,

Glad to be here and the site looks very nice.

I'm a raw novice when it comes to DTP and for that matter Web Publishing. The last time I worked in the business, I ran a type shop from a cast iron lightbox and used a scalpel to makeup film for the ADs the next morning. We were using Quadex, which kind of dates me. Does anybody else remember what a Typositor was? Anyhow, at one point I was very good at QC and used good old-fashioned flash cards to keep up with those niggling little differences in type. I still remember OMG (Oligy & Mather Direct) sending me bad xeroxes and demanding I match fonts. (Was it Compugraphic or Merg? Inquiring minds went nuts trying to figure out which. They didn't make a loupe big enough to tell for sure!!!) Anyhow, I still keep my copy of Rooklege around, but all the other type books are long gone!

<g>

Anyhow, I'm probably going to do some kind of combo DTP and Website for a community press that I ran for the last 2 years. MY AD is probably moving on and she did it all in Quark and later InDesign CS on Mac OSX Jaguar 10.2.8. I'm not going to do Mac, but I do have Quark 4, Illustrator 9 and PhotoShop 6, along with Adobe Acrobat 4 (Reader and Writer). This is all PC stuff and I run it on a laptop running Win98se.

At some point I'm going to have a lot of questions.

<VBG>

Nick

Last edited by ktinkel; 02-26-2005 at 12:30 PM. Reason: technical correction
nick is offline   Reply With Quote