DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Fireproof drives (review)

Robert Mohns reviews a fascinating product at Macintouch: FireKing MediaVault HD. It is a UL-approved 55-lb. enclosure (certified to survive a Class 125 1-hour fire) containing one or two USB hard drives. The drives are formatted for Windows but can be reformatted for the Mac (as they were for the tests for the review). The drives are 250 MB; you can replace them with others of larger capacity, however.

Costs $1,360 (single), $1,700 (dual). Amazon’s third-party supplier offers a 46% discount, so the dual model costs $918 (plus shipping).

This may be overkill for most of us, but if you do need extremely reliable data storage for any reason, this could be a useful weapon in your arsenal. Well worth the time it takes to read the review, anyway — it describes how fires tend to burn, how long, at what temp for any particular point in the building.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Might be a better deal to get a fireproof vault (under $100 I'd expect) and extra normal USB drives. Swap them in and out with each backup and get better backup AND fire-proof-osity. For far fewer $.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Might be a better deal to get a fireproof vault (under $100 I'd expect) and extra normal USB drives. Swap them in and out with each backup and get better backup AND fire-proof-osity. For far fewer $.
I guess, but how would you get the USB cables into the vault?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I guess, but how would you get the USB cables into the vault?
That's what I meant about swapping 'em in and out. Backup to USB_1, pop it in the safe, pull out USB_2. Back up to it next time, swap again. Repeat ad libidum.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Macintouch accumulated quite a few responses to that review, some of them suggesting alternatives or variations.

Waterproof enclosures were mentioned as well.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And the first one listed made the same suggestion as I did. Clever devil, that one. ;-)

Waterproof is good. It seems that more damage is done by water used in putting out smaller fires than by the fire itself. Of course, if you forego the water, the small fires become big ones.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

I need a new hard drive for my MacBook. Sounds a bit heavy for a shoulder bag. Do they provide a model with wheels?

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
And the first one listed made the same suggestion as I did. Clever devil, that one. ;-)

Waterproof is good. It seems that more damage is done by water used in putting out smaller fires than by the fire itself. Of course, if you forego the water, the small fires become big ones.
About 17 years ago, during a spate of school fires here, an enterprising teacher responsible for a Mac network at a school that had had its computer lab torched, rescued all the boxes after the fire, extracted the hard drives and span them up in other computers. It was a long time ago and I've forgotten the details, but I seem to recall that all but one or two of the drives worked perfectly. It was well reported in the local Mac club newsletters at the time, so I should try to look for the full story...