DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default drive errors, ticking

Should I worry?

My external 750 FreeAgent Pro occasionally makes ticking noises. I thought they had to do with the disk spinning up, but now I wonder.

I also get occasional error messages, like this: “Time Machine Error. Unable to complete backup …” (didn’t catch the details).

Looked in Console and found this item at about the right time:
/3/09 12:47:44 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[51827]
Error: (-43) SrcErr:NO Copying /Users/k_tinkel/Desktop/.cpanel-logs to /Volumes/BigShot 750/Backups.backupdb/iMac/2009-03-03-114727.
inProgress/A7F23826-43C8-432D-80C3-B1A47AA6E246/Macintosh HD/Users/k_tinkel/Desktop
Then a couple of minutes later:
Copy stage failed with error:11
Backup failed with error: 11
After which it seemed to complete the backup successfully.

Is this normal? After all the concerns over Seagate drives recently, I am concerned that this is the harbinger of something awful.

Should I be worrying?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
iamback

Yes, you should be worrying! The "ticking" nearly always means the drive is having trouble positioning its heads - and possibly dying.

A firmware upgrade may help, but I'd get a replacement fast, if I were you. At least you get a warning...

There are several well-known cases of "tick of death" or "click of death" indicating HD problems - try this search: hard drive tick of death - the Wikipedia article (first hit) mentions the infamous Iomega Zip drive case; it also indicates likely drive failure.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
BobRoosth

Google found this: http://tinyurl.com/cutt5p

In my experience, ticking can be head seeks, which are normal. They can also be retries: meaning the drives gets a checksum error when reading a block of data, then re-reads that block a number of times trying to get a good read. If you are getting re-tries, you need to return the drive under warranty.
I don't know OS X well enough to know where you would find log messages for that drive.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Should I be worrying?
God, yes! Get it replaced right away, KT before it keels over for good x

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Michael Beloved

Since the price of the external drives have decreased, it only makes sense to dump any old ones and install one or two new ones. If the information on the old one is needed, then usually the manufacturer may have recovery disc or other technology to retreive the information from it. But if that information is in the main system, your best bet is to get a new external rig and set it up to back up afresh.
It is not worth the headache to fool with the old stuff which malfunctions, unless you really have to retreive something that is on it.
Usually they should run silently or have a quiet hum. Once an external back up makes noises, it becomes suspect and is just not worth the bother.
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beloved View Post
Usually they should run silently or have a quiet hum.
Quite, though my first scsi drive - over ten years ago, a whopping and very expensive whole gigabtye - always sounded like a hammer and anvil <g>.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Michael Beloved

Robin,
Just yesterday I purchased a 160GB ext. drive at Staples in Brooklyn NY for US$70. About 4 months ago I purchased a 130GB for $50 at the same store. These are Verbatim palm-held units which have Bounceback software installed in the units and which are connect through USB port.
These items were on sale. One store clerk advised me to take one to the counter to have the cashier scan the bar code to check on price reductions.
But I became convinced to just purchase new ones like this after my brother advised me. He works at an Office Depo Store in Denver. He said tht many people come in crying over hard drive failure and that it was due to the fact that they relied on an older one. He said that since the prices are now greatly reduced, it is best to just dump the old stuff and back up using these USG port devices which are so easy to operate. But his advice was like this. Keep one permanently connected which will automatically backs up through its own software. then back up a second unit. from time to time when it crosses your mind, connect that second unit and it will review itself and add any changes you made .
this allows a safety just in case the permenantlyconnected back up fails.

Recently I purchased a book named

1 Step Backup for Windows.

The writer hDan Brown suggested using a back system which has a shadow drive. That seems to be the safest thing. This is also a small device which keeps two copies of everything in two seperate drives. If one fails you have the other one. The point is that these are priced reasonably nowadays, and so it isn't worth the loss of sleep involved in keeping an old system which is suspect for failure.

The Verbatim device which is permanently connected to my labtop is attached to the top of the labtop by velcro.
One thing about this technology is to keep up by checking now and again to see what is happening, what is new. Sometimes it is worth the while to take 15 minutes and read about the newer units. Things are moving so fast in development, we almost have to do that to keep abreast.
Michael B.
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
Google found this: http://tinyurl.com/cutt5p

In my experience, ticking can be head seeks, which are normal. They can also be retries: meaning the drives gets a checksum error when reading a block of data, then re-reads that block a number of times trying to get a good read. If you are getting re-tries, you need to return the drive under warranty.
I don't know OS X well enough to know where you would find log messages for that drive.
Thanks. I recognized the head seeks, but it has been years since I have noticed them in any drive (but I haven’t had many external drives recently either).

My errors seem less dire than the ones at your link, but they do reference error 11. Sigh. Not sure whether the drive is still under warranty — let it sit for months before setting it up a couple of months ago.

I have never had to restore anything so could erase and reformat it and try again. Or I could bite a nice fat bullet and buy a new Time Capsule, which would also enhance my wi-fi range. Or buy a different brand of large drive. Sigh again.

In OS X one can read the logs in Console, which I have done. It does show repeated tries on occasion (see my first message).

Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
… the Wikipedia article (first hit) mentions the infamous Iomega Zip drive case; it also indicates likely drive failure.
I am familiar with the tick of death that afflicted Zip drives awhile back. This doesn’t sound like that — it sounds like a small, one-time, mechanical noise that precedes the sound (not loud, but audible) of a drive spinning up.

Still, unusual. Haven’t heard much of anything from a drive in years and years. Sigh.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
God, yes! Get it replaced right away, KT before it keels over for good x
I guess.

It is only used for backup, and no restore has been needed (so far).

Only question is: What brand of drive to replace it with?