DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Limebury

Default Homesite oddity

I am still using Homesite because I am so used to it, and it does all I need. Version 5.2

But recently I have to press CTRL H twice each time it starts to get the Quickbar at the top of my screen. I suppose I must have pressed something at some point but how can I get the Quickbar to be there by default?

Limebury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
iamback

Of course I'm supposed to jump in here - but I'm stumped.

First of all: I've never had or used version 5.2, and version 5.0 in stalled on Grace here somehow just stopped working (it crashes immediately on startup, and I have no idea why), long after I'd last used it. So I am more than rusty.

Isn't there some menu item somewhere to save your settings or save your "desktop", or similar? Did you install as administrator? Are you using it as administrator or with another account?

I have some vague memories that 1) it needs to be installed by administrator (or at least if you need to have user-adaptable settings), and/or 2) that a non-administrator user account may not be able to change/save their own settings unless some Registry key is unlocked.

Does this ring any bells?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Limebury

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Of course I'm supposed to jump in here - but I'm stumped.

First of all: I've never had or used version 5.2, and version 5.0 in stalled on Grace here somehow just stopped working (it crashes immediately on startup, and I have no idea why), long after I'd last used it. So I am more than rusty.

Isn't there some menu item somewhere to save your settings or save your "desktop", or similar? Did you install as administrator? Are you using it as administrator or with another account?

I have some vague memories that 1) it needs to be installed by administrator (or at least if you need to have user-adaptable settings), and/or 2) that a non-administrator user account may not be able to change/save their own settings unless some Registry key is unlocked.

Yes, show quickbar is selected in the menu option for it.

Does this ring any bells?
Hi Marjolein

Thought you might 'jump in'. Surely few know more about HS than you.

I am sole user and have admin rights. And it used to work! Just stopped a week or two ago

The bit that puzzles me is that CTRL H is supposed to toggle the Quickbar. But to get it I have to press CTRL H *twice* implying that it is already there somehow but hidden, the first press removes and the second restores but this time visibly.

Does nobody use Homesite any more? I'd be lost without it.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
iamback

Sounds like it may be a "docking" problem which HomeSite sometimes develops, though I don't remember this happening with the Quickbar, but instead with the side panel.

As I remember, one solution is to completely remove the settings that determine which panel is where and docked to what (while HomeSite is closed, of course), and then restart HomeSite so it will restore default settings. From there on you can rearrange as you prefer again.

You could try this:
  1. Make Sure HomeSite is closed
  2. Go to Start -> Run and type 'regedit': this will open up the registry editor
  3. Navigate to (the equivalent of) key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\HomeSite5\Do cking (that's where it is for my version 5 - yours will probably be at something like:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\HomeSite52\D ocking: this is where all the docking stuff is stored (no spaces in "Docking" - vB adds them!)
  4. Make sure the key (in the left pane) is highlighted, and from the menu choose Registry -> Export Registry File...; choose an appropriate name and location where you can find it back (like your desktop) for your backup of the "Docking" data.
  5. Now explore the tree of settings in "Docking": you'll see almost all elements have a "Visible" item: 1 = "true" and 0 = "false". Any you find that are set to 0, edit to make it 1 (double-click on the name to edit).
  6. Now close the Registry editor, and start up HomeSite, and check if that helped.
    • if so, you're done! (you can hide anything you unhid but rather have hidden now)
    • if not, or if things are a real mess, close HomeSite, open the registry editor again, and remove the "Docking" key (select the key, then Edit -> Delete or press the Delete key); if you now close the Registry editor again and start up HomeSite, it should have its default layout
  7. If none of that helps, and the new situation is worse than what you had, just double-click the backup you made, confirm, and you'll have your starting situation back.

The ultimate solution is to uninstall and reinstall HomeSite, but that should not be necessary. Just be careful following the steps above and you should be OK.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limebury View Post
Does nobody use Homesite any more? I'd be lost without it.
First, HomeSite is really old now: new developers won't find or choose it. And it only handles static HTML (or other tag-based languages) but it doesn't handle CSS very well (that's why Topstyle Lite is bundled), and it's really not suited for server-side languages like PHP, which is probably the most-used language to build websites these days, even if it's just a little bit of non-static code.

So anyone who uses PHP (or Perl, or Java, or...) to build dynamic sites, is not well-served by HomeSite. And once you use something that's suited to developing in (one of) those languages, you're likely to find yourself with something that's suited to HTML as well. When using multiple languages, it's generally easier to just use one editor (even if it isn't the best fro one particular language), than to switch to another editor to use another language.

Which is where I find myself: I've been using more general programmer's editors and IDEs (from lightweight to heavyweight) to write code - including HTML code; and I hardy ever use pure, static HTML any more (maybe only to patch up an old page).

Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Limebury

Thanks Marjolein. I'll think about all that. Maybe need a time when I won't need HS for a day or two. That could be the hardest part!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Limebury

I guess I haven't moved on much. I use CSS in Topstyle in conjunction with HS. I'vbe never used PHP. IS there a program you would suggest for that?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limebury View Post
I guess I haven't moved on much. I use CSS in Topstyle in conjunction with HS. I'vbe never used PHP. IS there a program you would suggest for that?
For a lightweight editor I mostly use jEdit (it's portable, too - if you take care how to set it up - I can use it from my USB stick); for a more advanced (and more heavyweight, not really for an old machine like Grace) IDE I use Eclipse (with a plugin for PHP support). Both are fully cross-platform as they are Java applications: you just need a recent Java VM on your machine(s); this means I can use them under Windows as well as on my MacBook, and - once set up - under Linux on Marie as well.

And both are FOSS!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Limebury

Thanks. I'll look into those.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Patrick, when I saw this I remembered a similar issue with DreamWeaver 8 where the quick toolbars vanished. That was caused by a Windows update which I had allowed. It was subsequently resolved by removing the update and waiting for the next one from Mickeysoft. I no longer have HomeSite on my main working pc, so I fired up my laptop which does have HS5.5 still installed, and is subjected to all MS updates - but found that menubar worked as normal.

I rarely use HS now, but it is handy to keep on the machine I use when I visit clients and maybe have to make an edit to their site. If I used DreamWeaver in front of them they would probably see that edits are really easy and would want to install it and take over the site! Or even build their own replacement site. At least HS looks "nerdy".

Like Marjolein, I use a lot of PHP now, probably half of the sites I now build use a full PHP content management system, and the others have a simple PHP content editor installed. DreamWeaver is still good for developing PHP sites, but I tend to use NoteTab Pro as my php editor. We all have our trusty favourites.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote