DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Type design awards 2009

The Type Directors Club has announced the winners of this year’s design competition. Lots of familiar names, some new ones.

I am especially struck by Alejandro Paul’s Adios Script. Not exactly for every day applications, but very expressive.

Any Mark Jamra’s Expo Serif, a good advertising text design with swashes and an interesting italics.

Gingko, by by Alex Rütten, appears to work well at text sizes (as far as one can tell from a screen view), and has good personality at display sizes. Not sure I like the bold at larger sizes (the lozenge-shapes in the r and some other characters don’t appeal to me), but overall a nice design.

Definitely a few useful fonts this year.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: I am especially struck by Alejandro Paul’s Adios Script. Not exactly for every day applications, but very expressive.
Yes...very nice...

>>Gingko, by by Alex Rütten

I liked this one too and I also liked "Montague Script" (Stephen Rapp)--I'm a sucker for script fonts...'-}}--and Alda (Burton Hasebe)...

But! what pray tell is "Optica Normal" (Manuel Guerrero)???!!! Do you think their sample is corrupted? There are no letters. Am I missing something?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
But! what pray tell is "Optica Normal" (Manuel Guerrero)???!!! Do you think their sample is corrupted? There are no letters. Am I missing something?
Not quite sure myself.

There are some comments:

Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

They didn't help...'-}}

Terrie
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
They didn't help...'-}}
Maybe it isn’t intended for you (or me). At least not for type. But it might make a lovely pattern for drapery.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:

Terrie
Terrie,

I didn't get this at first, either. The letters did not emerge for me until I made a conscious effort to focus on the lines rather than the intersections. Then I noticed that the diagonals going from northeast to southwest form the letters. The diagonals going from northwest to southeast are the background. Does that help?

Gerry
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
iamback

Nice... my favorite in this collection is Nebulon: bold and elegant at the same time.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Nice... my favorite in this collection is Nebulon: bold and elegant at the same time.
It had better be used huge — too many of the characters are ambiguous otherwise. The y kind of annoys me in the light or regular weight, but it’s not too bad in heavy, as in xylon. And I hate that X has a crossbar.

It appears to work best in particular words. So long as those are words you want to set, you’re in good shape with Nebulon. (E.g.: angie looks pretty good and so does Vork, but not inexorable or VENUS.

That is often the case with display faces.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Maybe it isn’t intended for you (or me). At least not for type. But it might make a lovely pattern for drapery.
I thought that too but...isn't it supposed to be a font?

Terrie
Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
gerry: The letters did not emerge for me until I made a conscious effort to focus on the lines rather than the intersections. Then I noticed that the diagonals going from northeast to southwest form the letters. The diagonals going from northwest to southeast are the background. Does that help?
Yes but only in the sense that it confirms my suspicion that it's a "trick"--that there's a technique to viewing--and I can't see the letters...it also gives me a headache...'-}}

Thanks though!

Terrie