DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #11
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Of course, this morning, another one of my external HDs died - one of a pair I bought at the same time, the other failed just a few months ago, so I was sort of expecting it! Luckily with my new external backup drives, this time I have a backup on what's on that disk. It's well and truly dead: I cracked open the case (not meant to do that), took out the drive, and put it in an enclosure - when I powered it on, it didn't spin up. (The other one may still have a little life in it, but I haven't fiddled with it lately.) I have some nice little screws left.

So, from excitement to depression within 24 hours.

Now I need to look for another external (or cradle + disk) I can hook up to Marie (eSATA): the idea is to have everything in two places, but now I have only the backup.

Off to search for disk and cradles...
Found what I wanted at least (that took three rounds of searching to find out what I really wanted, and then where to get it in NL for the best price). So I ordered:
*) the link is to the 640GB model for EUR 55; the 750GB model (EUR 65) I had a link for now shows as "no longer available!" - I must've gotten the last one...

All together, with discounted shipping, shipping insurance, and handling, still just under 100 EUR.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It also took a while before I found how to add a status bar to explorer windows! Are they nuts??

Well, you think so and I think so but they don't ask us, do they? Sigh.

I'm guessing that you know about pressing/releasing ALT to get the old-style menus then? How's that for intuitive, eh?

> I want to work with the OS, not fight several layers to get at it.

One of the first things I do to make any windows box liveable is to find the command prompt shortcut in Accessories, right click, Properties and put Ctrl+Alt+D into the Shortcut text box.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
One of the first things I do to make any windows box liveable is to find the command prompt shortcut in Accessories, right click, Properties and put Ctrl+Alt+D into the Shortcut text box.
Hehe, one of the first things I do (apart from installing Firefox) is putting a shortcut to the command prompt into the Quickstart area, and put a shortcut to Services on the desktop. (And then check which services I absolutely do not want and disable them - like Windows update and Windows Defender. Vista complains about that on bootup but I just dismiss it then.)

And, of course, on XP or Vista I change as much as possible the UI back to "Classic". My OS is to work with, not to look at!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

One of the reasons I went ahead with Vista on this box was so that I could a) force myself to get used to it and b) know what my customers are looking at and fighting with.

So I haven't disabled too much of its foolishness.

OTOH, I can't quite bring myself to USE it for anything serious. I'll probably set up a few VMs for that. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
One of the reasons I went ahead with Vista on this box was so that I could a) force myself to get used to it and b) know what my customers are looking at and fighting with.
Same reason I have not removed Vista from my "spare" PC. But with Quad Core, loads of RAM & big HD it is just perfect for video editing, and the OS does not get in the way of that. I guess because it is a "consumer activity". It is so much faster than this old single core XP box, but this one I trust.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
iamback

Default Latest developments on my blog

I just introduced Marie on my blog, too - latest developments: first Linux adventures!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
terrie
Staff

You've got a typo--"loose" instead of "lose" (2nd para in the "OSs and repartitioning" section)...thought you'd want to know...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
You've got a typo--"loose" instead of "lose"
Darn, I know the difference! Guess I was just too tired to see it. Fixed now, thanks!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
terrie
Staff

You're welcome...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote