DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing ā€” in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default ID CS refuses to import QX5&6 documents

Does ID CS really only open v4 QuarkXPress documents? I have a ton of files I need to convert, but ID says the links must all be reestablished in XPress before ID will open them. Problem is, ID says it'll only open v4 files and the only version of XPress I have now is v6, which saves downwards only to v5. Have they really truly not updated ID CS to open at least v5 QX files?? How do I start converting files to ID if I don't have QX4 anymore to open them in first and redo the links?

Of course I need the answer to this pronto, because a client has just popped their heads up urgently asking for a converted version of their layouts for their printer, who doesn't have XPress. <sigh>

All help appreciated!

Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

I can't really help since I don't have QXP but I do find that IDCS is really limited in what it will open...there was a patch released in August 2004...do you have that? Here's the url:

Code:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2448
Found this on the Adobe ID forum:

>>I did drag the Quark file onto the ID icon on the dock ...worked like a charm.

They also suggest reinstalling ID...

Terrie

Last edited by ElyseC; 01-26-2005 at 03:32 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

The help files on line state it will open v5 files only if they're first back-saved to v4. <sigh>

Yes, I have the latest patches or whatever applied. I double checked that this morning, AAMOF.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Have they really truly not updated ID CS to open at least v5 QX files??
I'm afraid so. You'll need to save as v5, and then find some pour soul who has v5 to save back as v4. What a pain.

On the bright side, at least it can be done...

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
I'm afraid so. You'll need to save as v5, and then find some pour soul who has v5 to save back as v4. What a pain.

On the bright side, at least it can be done...
<sigh> We're talking about hundreds of files...

Hm...another thought occurs...
What if I simply open the files in QX6, do Collect for Output to get a list of linked images, then close the files, quit XPress and find the linked images and put aliases of them into the same folder next to the QX files. That should allow the links to show as OK again when I ask ID to open them, yes?

See, I bought all new Macs and had to abandon the old. The files are now looking for images down directory paths that no longer exist. In theory, if I stick aliases of the needed files (minus the "alias" bit at the end) alongside their documents, they'll recognize them no problem. It's just that this a giant pain -- BUT not as giant as opening everything, updating links, saving as v5, then finding some poor schmuck to open many MBs of files and save back to v4 again. (I pretty much skipped v5, even though I bought that upgrade, and stuck with v4 on my former production machine.)

Old 01-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #6
Shane Stanley
Staff

The image issue and the version problem are separate, unfortunately. So yes, first step is get the images updated in v6. Maybe set the files to update images on opening at the same time, to avoid potential problems below. From then, it's not that hard really.

First, you need a script for v6 to save back to v5. Then install v5 somewhere, and run a script there to save the v5 files as v4. Finally, run a script that opens the v4 docs in ID and saves from there.

Let scripts do the work for you. Yell if you need some help with them.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
Let scripts do the work for you. Yell if you need some help with them.
OK, will do. My challenge is finding v5 and installing it somewhere. Can't I install it on the same machine v6 is on? That's the one machine that has all my fonts.

Or maybe ID's next version will be able to open QX5 files and I can jump through hoops only for the files I need immediately, saving the rest for that hopeful day...

Old 01-27-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Norman Hathaway

We do that quite a bit here-
The designer next to me has 6 and 5 installed on the same machine.
Sadly for him, as I make him convert all the Xpress legacy docs for me.

Perhaps the new version of ID will support more recent versions.

N
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
We do that quite a bit here-
The designer next to me has 6 and 5 installed on the same machine.
Sadly for him, as I make him convert all the Xpress legacy docs for me.
So v5 has to be installed into Classic, right? I assume Classic will automatically start up when I start up the installer. Hm...I don't have all my fonts installed in Classic, so I wonder how that'll affect the opening of the docs.

Quote:
Perhaps the new version of ID will support more recent versions.
We can only hope!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #10
Dave Saunders

I wouldn't hold your breath. Thomas Phinney is on record confirming that the Quark 5 and 6 formats are encrypted and thus it is illegal to reverse engineer them.

However, looking further into the future, Quark has announced an XML based format for its files (I didn't pay close attention, so I don't know the specifics) but that caused a flurry of interest in the idea that XML could yet be the solution to passing files back and forth among applications.

InDesign's Interchange format is XML based, and while InDesign CS is the only application that can currently interpret a .inx file, the problem is solved in principle. Of course, interpreting the XML and knowing how to map features on to each other or improvise solutions to feature mismatches will be the big challenges.

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote