DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Linotype Fontexplorer X

New snazzy web site and no longer free. Oh, and Mac only.
Otherwise it seems like a good application...

Dang! I'm still on the lookout for a font manager since the Windows version decided to quit on me. Presumably it didn't like XP servicepack 2 very much as it stopped working after I installed that.

I'm now on 32-bit Vista and there are issues with Fontexplorer so I am not taking any chances.

Here's the link to the new version.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
tphinney

At this exact point in time, your best bet for Windows font management is probably the newest FontAgent Pro for Windows.

That being said, there are interesting developments on the horizon, and Windows font management is looking up in general.

Cheers,

T
tphinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphinney View Post
At this exact point in time, your best bet for Windows font management is probably the newest FontAgent Pro for Windows.
I searched for that and ended up here. That blurb lists "font problems" (none of which I have) it can solve, and a lot of other properties, and refers to a mysterious "Font Control Panel" (a beast I have never encountered). What it doesn't do is tell me what it's capable of in areas I am really interested in. Such as:
  • Full Unicode support:
    • Handle fonts whose file names are in Unicode characters
    • View the complete character map, organized by Unicode ranges
    • Be able to show user-defined sample text, including in Unicode characters
    • View all of a font's defined strings (including strings in Unicode characters)
  • Support for fonts with non-western character sets, not encoded as Unicode (many non-Western fonts fall in this category)
  • Full Unicode support
  • Really full Unicode support
  • Unicode support

Oh, and did I mention Unicode support? (And I've probably forgotten a few things.)

I've looked at a lot of Font management (and similar) software for Windows already, but so far none has actually met my requirements (although a few came close).

Quote:
That being said, there are interesting developments on the horizon, and Windows font management is looking up in general.
I really hope those interesting developments involve Unicode support and Unicode support.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
John Spragens

And then besides Unicode support, I'd really like to be able to print specimen sheets and character maps. For a really big Unicode font, it would be good to be able to choose logical subsets of the character map to print.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens View Post
And then besides Unicode support, I'd really like to be able to print specimen sheets and character maps. For a really big Unicode font, it would be good to be able to choose logical subsets of the character map to print.
See? I knew I was forgetting something!

Thanks.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

How far away is the horizon?

While Marjolein might have forgotten to mention Unicode support, it would be great.

I'm intrested in having the option to save font set settings (if that's the expression for it) with my job folders as I get a fair amount of repeat work and it would make life easy to just load the same fonts again.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

According to customer support there is a Windows version due "planned middle of the year 2009", so there is still hope.

Downloaded and installed the trial version of Font Agent Pro, but haven't had the time to play with it as yet.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
How far away is the horizon?

While Marjolein might have forgotten to mention Unicode support, it would be great.

I'm intrested in having the option to save font set settings (if that's the expression for it) with my job folders as I get a fair amount of repeat work and it would make life easy to just load the same fonts again.
Not sure it works the same in Windows, but the auto-activation in Font Agent Pro and Font Explorer takes care of that for me (when I use apps that support the feature — not all do). Needed fonts are opened on the fly.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
tphinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
According to customer support there is a Windows version due "planned middle of the year 2009", so there is still hope.
I'm a bit skeptical of the delivery date for the Windows version of FontExplorer X. It's been about six months away for something like three years now....

Could happen, great if it does, but I'm not holding my breath, you know?

T
tphinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
I'm a bit skeptical of the delivery date for the Windows version of FontExplorer X. It's been about six months away for something like three years now...
A bit like walking towards the horizon then?

I did like the beta version and it would be my preferred option, but I don't know if I can wait forever.

Quote:
Could happen, great if it does, but I'm not holding my breath, you know?

T
I'm alredy holding my breath for another application.