DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
shamrock838

Default Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate :

Two newbie questions please …

1. I just got this program and I want it to recognize the thousands of digital images I’ve accumulated since 2002. These images are on my D:\ drive but are scattered amongst a labyrinth of directories … and sub-directories. Would it be sufficient just to indicate “D:\” as the overall source for this program to check?

2. My DSLR only records images through a range of 1-999 before repeating the cycle. So … I’ve acquired m-a-n-y duplicate image numbers. Will this program identify these images individually, say, according to date of exposure?

Thanks.
shamrock838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I think Marjolein uses Paint Shop Pro so hopefully, she will see the thead and be able to give you specific advice but I'll go out on a limb and say that for your first question, I think indicating your D:\ drive will probably do the trick...

However, as to your second question...I'm paranoid enough that I wouldn't trust any software to resolve the duplicate numbers in a way that would make me happy so while it might be more work, I wonder if the best approach might be to process each directory/subdirectory one at a time?

Terrie

PS...welcome to the forum...'-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
shamrock838

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I think Marjolein uses Paint Shop Pro so hopefully, she will see the thead and be able to give you specific advice but I'll go out on a limb and say that for your first question, I think indicating your D:\ drive will probably do the trick...
Hi terrie ...

Just thinking further ... my "D:\Photography" directory is sub-divided by years from 2002 to the present.
Each year is sub-divided by the months in which I took pictures.
Each month is sub-divided by the days in which I took pictures.
Sometimes even the days are sub-divided if I visited more than one site.
Also ... we're talking here here a total aggregate of some 43,773 .jpg images in 1404 folders totalling about 78.1 GB.

Does this change the picture in any way? Gasp! Thanks.

shamrock838
Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
iamback

I use paint Shop Pro - but stopped upgrading after X - which I'm barely using. Mostly I use version 7 (for light-weight work) and 8 (for a bit more control). And I use Helicon Filter for a lot of things now that I used to use PSP for.

So, I'm entiry the wrong person to ask - I have absolutely no idea what later PSP versions are capable of in terms of assets management (not that I'd use it for that anyway - that's what I have IMatch for!).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
iamback

It would probably be a good idea to change the names of your files to add a prefix or suffix based on the dates. Duplicate file names for different content are never a good idea, even if they are in different directories.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock838 View Post
1. I just got this program and I want it to recognize the thousands of digital images I’ve accumulated since 2002. These images are on my D:\ drive but are scattered amongst a labyrinth of directories … and sub-directories. Would it be sufficient just to indicate “D:\” as the overall source for this program to check?
Unless the image organiser has been considerably updated since PSP Photo 11 then it will not automatically recurse into sub-directories. To maintain an index of all photos in my collection I use Picasa 3, which will search into all connected drives and directories to produce its index. Takes a while when first installed but is really useful for quickly browsing the images.

Picasa has no problem with files having identical names, as it uses the directory path to classify the images.

You can right click an image in Picasa and select to open in PSP.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
shamrock838

Default Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

Thanks for replying,

Backtracking a little …

1. Being a total newbie here … do I really need to use the Downloader function at all? Perhaps I don’t fully grasp its real function. When I click on it … I’m asked “Which device do you want to use?” … i.e. which printer, scanner, card reader, etc. OK for newly taken images … but 99.99% of my images are already on the hard drive. So I already seem to be a step ahead here.

2. Alternately … what if I just went to the Organizer … opened up D:\Photography (on my desktop hard drive) to a given year and zipped through the sub-directories to find the images I want? Or am I oversimplifying things?

3. Being a visual person … aren’t there tutorials for Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate that illustrate and walk a person like me through the processes? After all … I’ve never used any version of Paint Shop before. Hey … maybe I also need one of those “Dummies” books.

4. Lastly … does this program also have a “default button” that resets everything (including displays) to the original installation?

Sorry to seem obtuse about all this …

Thanks.

shamrock838
Old 02-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
shamrock838: Just thinking further ... my "D:\Photography" directory is sub-divided by years from 2002 to the present.
Each year is sub-divided by the months in which I took pictures.
Each month is sub-divided by the days in which I took pictures.
Sometimes even the days are sub-divided if I visited more than one site.
Also ... we're talking here here a total aggregate of some 43,773 .jpg images in 1404 folders totalling about 78.1 GB.
Ahhh...be still my heart!!! Someone as anal about things as I am...LOL!!!

Here's my suggestion...

Set up a test directory and copy the entire year's directory (with all the month and day subdirs) to the new test dir--maybe even do 2 years to sort of guarantee you'd get what might be dups...

Then use that to test the PSP indexing by pointing to that new test dir and see what you get. Hopefully, as Kelvyn noted for Picasa, PSP might also use the full path name so you'd not have a problem with duplicate names and if it does have a problem, you've not mucked up your "live" files...

For your other questions--perfectly reasonable questions by the way--I'd suggest trying a browser search on something like ["paint shop pro" +forum] (no brackets but do use the double quotes).

For instructional books, I find that I really need to look at them in person. If it's software that I have at least some basic knowledge of, then what I do is to look in the book for something I already know how to do and see how the book describes the process. If I find the description intelligible to me, then it's likely that I'd also find the descriptions of other process I don't know how to do intelligible too.

You might check to see if there is a "Visual Quick Start" (or it might be "Visual QuickStart" which is an actual series title) book for PSP X2.

I did a quick search using Google on ["paint shop pro" +forum] (no brackets) and found the following:

1. http://www.pspug.org/forum/forum.shtml

2. http://forums.tutorialized.com/paint-shop-pro-68/

3. http://www.tek-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=446

4. http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

5. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30910318

Hope this helps...

Terrie
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
shamrock838

Terri,

Let’s backtrack briefly to the proverbial “square 1.”

On the startup screen … I clicked on “Learning Center” (along the left side). I clicked again on “Get Photos.” I clicked again on “Download” and got into “Select a Device.” I don’t want this just now since my photos are already on the hard drive … so I backed out.

Then I went to the Help section and brought up: “Getting Photos into Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.” It doesn’t say if it’s the “X2” version” though.

On page 2 is a section entitled, “To Create Default Settings for the Corel Photo Downloader.”

I’m looking all over for this “System Tray” and the “Corel Photo Downloader” icon and I can’t find other. Something is missing from the main screen display … or my thought processes. I opened various toolbars and palettes and got more confused. Finally I did a File \ Preferences \ Reset Preferences to get back to where I started.

Then I did another File \ Preferences \ General Program Preferences \ Photo Downloader and saw that all three options there were checked.

Again … this is my first experience with any version of PSP and I’m sure the solution to all this will be embarrassingly obvious to all but moi.

Thanks.

BTW … I’ve already created the test directory you suggested and have copied the 2005-2006-2007 yearly photo files. So I’m ready to go in that respect.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Thanks for the detailed steps you went through because I don't have PSP (in any flavor...'-}}) as I use Photoshop...

>>Then I went to the Help section and brought up: “Getting Photos into Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.” It doesn’t say if it’s the “X2” version” though.

You can pretty accurately assume that the Help is for X2 if you clicked on the HELP from within X2.

>>
Finally I did a File \ Preferences \ Reset Preferences to get back to where I started.

See!!! You know a lot already!!! Resetting prefs is a fairly common suggestion when things either don't work the way they are supposed to or the software gets cranky...'-}}

I did a browser search (Google) on ['Corel Photo Downloader'] (no brackets but did use single quote marks) and the PDF I found states "The
Corel Photo Downloader activates when you insert a CD containing photos or plug your camera or media card into your computer, and automatically downloads and opens your photos with Corel Photo Album."

Personally, this gives me the willies...'-}} because I want to control when and where my images are indexed and what software I will use to work with my images but you may be different. Also, given that you already have you images on your harddrive, I don't think you want to use the Photo Downloader--I don't think you need it for your existing images.

>>
I’ve already created the test directory you suggested and have copied the 2005-2006-2007 yearly photo files. So I’m ready to go in that respect.

Cool! Let us know how it goes.

Did you get a chance to check out any of the PSP-specific forums? I'll bet you might find a lot of useful help and tips on them...

Terrie