DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #21
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Our wireless router does not reach the bedroom. This house is not as ancient as yours, but it was a nice solid 1929 house to which they added a couple of boxes, and those form our kitchen and bedroom.
Our base station doesn't reach very far so we have some extenders. One of them uses the mains wiring and a couple of them are WiFi repeaters.

The great thing about them is that you just plug them in a forget about them. I think the mains-based one needed setting up but the extenders just had to be plugged in and held near the base station for a while - once they'd latched on to the base station they could be unplugged and moved to where we wanted them.

With 3-foot thick granite walls our WiFi system didn't reach very far at all initially. Now, I think, we don't have any dead spots at all.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #22
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP Guy View Post
I believe that you can store text on iPods but you have to use iTunes to enable it.
I read somewhere you don't need iTunes at all to get to the "closed" or "hidden" parts of am iPod: just tell OS X to show hidden files, and you'll see a normal external HD. You can use this too, to get at the music stored on there (or store music). Give it a try!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #23
iamback

Thanks for those links - gives me a nice alternative to my regular list of radio stations; good thing I just discovered how to add radio stations to my new player! Pity these are such low quality (low bitrate: 128 respectively 96 kbps as the URLs suggest) - the 128 is OK-ish, but 96 is audibly bad.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #24
iamback

I once downloaded iTunes on my PC to test it out. It didn't survive for more than 5 minutes!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #25
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I've never moved pre-made MP3s into iTunes for shuffling off to the Pod, but iTunes makes it stone simple to rip CDs into its library and then synch them with the iPod.
I guess. I had a maddening time getting any audio out of that thing. First it refused to recognize my old iTunes library. Finally I just went to the directory, used Select All, and flung it at the iTunes panel; voila! They all appeared there.

But it made no rational sense, and I have downloaded the iPod manual from Apple to try to figure out what I was supposed to do.

I found a setting somewhere (I think when I had inserted an audio CD to copy) that let me set the format to Apple Lossless instead of the default . I have to do more tests to see if it makes a serious difference on the iPod. Suspect one would need to run the iPod through a decent audio system (one with some bass and balance controls) to discern much difference. Certainly not much on the dock/playback rig I got.

Apple Lossless seems not to be compatible with anything but iPod and iTunes (see this nifty chart). But there are converters, and it appears that .aiff is the lingua franca (even works on iPod but the files are double the iTunes standard size).

I am not really interesting in pursuing all that, but comforted in knowing that there is a way to some other system or format if I (or Jack) got interested. I really hate dead-end situations.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #26
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I have a "loose" (we usually use a cruder word) virtual machine on one of the PCs that I allow things like QT onto. That's as far as it's allowed to roam. The very acronym suggests the best treatment for it: QuaranTine.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

IIRC, there's a setting in iTunes preferences that allows you to treat the pod like a pod-only or like a removable drive. The "appears on desktop" behavior depends on that setting. YMMV. iVe got a fairly ancient iBook and haven't let it update iTunes in quite iWhile.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
IIRC, there's a setting in iTunes preferences that allows you to treat the pod like a pod-only or like a removable drive. The "appears on desktop" behavior depends on that setting.
That makes sense — it popped up during registration, then disappeared.

It should stay on the desktop if you ask me — that would make better sense, especially as you have to delete it before disconnecting the USB. Took me a while to figure out how to do it (menu item — really weird behavior on a Mac to have a menu be the only option).

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #29
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Your iPod's name should appear on the left, in the list that includes the Apple store, your various music lists and whatnot.

Rightclick on that (ctrl+click I think, if you have a half-mouse) and there's an eject option.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #30
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Your iPod's name should appear on the left, in the list that includes the Apple store, your various music lists and whatnot.

Rightclick on that (ctrl+click I think, if you have a half-mouse) and there's an eject option.
Oh! Duh. There it is. I didn’t look there and didn’t recognize it when I did because the iPod part of its name doesn’t show. And the eject button is right there in plain sight.

Well. Takes care of that mystery. Thanks.