DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default You guys Down Under ok???

I'd heard about the terrible fires in Australia and meant to post to make sure everyone is ok and got sidetracked but there was an absolutely ghastly photo in today's Washington Post of a horse that died in one of the fires that reminded me...

Soooo...everyone down there ok???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'd heard about the terrible fires in Australia and meant to post to make sure everyone is ok and got sidetracked but there was an absolutely ghastly photo in today's Washington Post of a horse that died in one of the fires that reminded me...

Soooo...everyone down there ok???
Glad you posted. I have been thinking about our friends down there. Ann is in Queensland, perhaps (guessing) 800 or more miles from Victoria. Shane is in Victoria (or used to be — I think he moved a couple of years ago) on the other side of the fire, but possibly closer.

Hope they pop up to say they are okay.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I figured Ann was far away from the fires but I wasn't sure where Shane lives...

I hope they are ok too...

According to someone on one of my horse lists who lives in Australia--can't remember exactly where but out of the danger zone I think--the police have taken 2 people into custody for arson...

Terrie
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Shane Stanley
Staff

Where I lived until a couple of years ago is about 5-10 miles from one of the fires, although reasonably safe because of the prevailing winds. That fire also started before the worst conditions, so people there got more warning.

Now I'm well away from it, although I guess that having lived with the threat for 20 years, and knowing some of the areas well, it's still gut-wrenching stuff.

Bushfires are a regular event down here, but no-one has seen anything like this before. Ten years of drought, less than a millimeter of rain for January, a week of temperatures 100+, then Saturday's scorcher of 115+ and howling, dry winds. We're a bit shaken and dumbstruck. But alive.

Ann lives about mid-way between our fires and the floods to the north. Crazy continent...

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Thank you! You and Ann have certainly been in our thoughts as we watched the rage of those fires.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
shane: Bushfires are a regular event down here, but no-one has seen anything like this before. Ten years of drought, less than a millimeter of rain for January, a week of temperatures 100+, then Saturday's scorcher of 115+ and howling, dry winds. We're a bit shaken and dumbstruck. But alive.
I'm so glad you are ok...while I've not seen a lot on the fires, what I have seen and read made it sound like this was really unusual...I do hope that things will get better soon...

Terrie
Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Shane Stanley
Staff

Thanks all. And I suppose our fear for the future is that the unprecedented will become the norm.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley View Post
And I suppose our fear for the future is that the unprecedented will become the norm.
Sounds familiar. Unprecedented natural events seem to going around. The "500 year" flood that hit Iowa last June is definitely in that category. I'm sure Oz bush residents and those in the flood zones here no longer think "oh that just won't happen here in my lifetime."

Friends who lived in the mountains above Los Angeles routinely kept their most important, most irreplaceable possessions and papers close to the door. In case of sudden brushfire they could load their vehicles quickly and leave. Staying prepared to bug out on short notice, they weren't very attached to "stuff." I just couldn't imagine how they could pack up and leave, and tell us "well, we have no idea if the house is still there, but if it isn't, that's just the way it goes."

Old 02-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Thanks.

I'm in Queensland, where the northern half is suffering severe floods. But I'm physically closer to the bushfires in Victoria. Our weather is just normal for this time of the year - hot and humid.

It's just horrendous what's happened in Victoria, and now the radio reports indicate that the CFA in Victoria is trying hard to give prior warning, but from all the reports I've read, the fires just moved so fast the residents had seconds rather than minutes or hours to make life or death decisions and unfortunately, given little information, many made the wrong ones. I've been in tears reading the newspaper stories, knowing a very little about the places that have been devastated.

There are lots of benefit collections going on, for money and goods, including some for all animals. The ABC is supporting the Red Cross appeal which is being overwhelmed with callers, many of whom have been touched by bushfires and floods in the past and have some small comprehension of the magnitude of the disaster at a personal level and understand that what has happened is way beyond what they might have experienced.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

I'm so glad you are ok...

>>radio reports indicate that the CFA in Victoria is trying hard to give prior warning,

What is "CFA"?

Terrie