DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default iPods: Store text in them?

I am thinking of getting an iPod (the original — even if it doesn’t come in charming colors). Our local NPR stations are either giving up music or reverting to weird music, especially at night. So I figured an iPod with a dock/radio thingie would let us program our own evening music and still wake up to Morning Edition as we do now.

But I also wonder what else can be stored on an iPod, and how you get it in there.

Pretty sure one or two of you have one of these gadgets, so thought I would ask!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
JVegVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I am thinking of getting an iPod (the original — even if it doesn’t come in charming colors). Our local NPR stations are either giving up music or reverting to weird music, especially at night. So I figured an iPod with a dock/radio thingie would let us program our own evening music and still wake up to Morning Edition as we do now.

But I also wonder what else can be stored on an iPod, and how you get it in there.
I think I suggested this before to someone, but why not listen to some other station over the Internet? Our public radio station split into two services a couple of years ago: one covers news, yakking, and music other than classical; one is all-classical 24/7. The classical station's coverage is spotty though they are trying to improve it. We couldn't get it over regular radio. So I turned to the computer and haven't missed a beat. The wonders of streaming audio!

Paste http://vprclassical.streamguys.net/vprclassical128.mp3 into your media player's Open dialogue. Another station I listen to often is KUSC from southern California. Their URL is http://68.181.156.19:8000/kuscaudio96.mp3 .

While the streaming audio is a lifesaver, if the Internet connection has problems as is sometimes the case, no music. So we finally got sick of it and bought an HD radio. It broadcasts three multicasts that come in very well: one for the regular yakking; one for 24-hour classical; and one for BBC (107.9-1, 107.9-2, 107.9-3).

As for the iPod, I don't have one though I have an MP3 player. I suspect that with an iPod you download whatever you want to listen to to your computer and then use iTunes to transfer the files to your iPod through a USB connection.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
DTP Guy

I believe that you can store text on iPods but you have to use iTunes to enable it. I think it has something to do with allowing the hard drive in the iPod to be actually used as a hard drive (some kind of toggle in iTunes).

Dunno about reading the text once on there though.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

That's about the gist of it (I played with it when I first got the iPod, decided it wasn't anything I'd use, promptly forgot about it).

We're talking text as in "the amount you'd put on a sticky note" here, not as in "novel" or even "reader's digest articles".

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Thanks. One of the other problems with our bedroom is that we cannot get internet reception there; and FM is also spotty, especially on overcast days.

Besides that, I kind of like the idea of controlling what we listen to late in the evening. I don’t mind pot luck all day, but at night feel much less adventurous.

I know how to get music into the iPod, or think I do. I was curious about how to get other types of stuff (not including videos!) into it, or whether it was worth it even to try.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP Guy View Post
I believe that you can store text on iPods but you have to use iTunes to enable it. I think it has something to do with allowing the hard drive in the iPod to be actually used as a hard drive (some kind of toggle in iTunes).

Dunno about reading the text once on there though.
Good thought. Me neither.

Maybe I am just groping for more justifications to buy myself a toy.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
That's about the gist of it (I played with it when I first got the iPod, decided it wasn't anything I'd use, promptly forgot about it).

We're talking text as in "the amount you'd put on a sticky note" here, not as in "novel" or even "reader's digest articles".
I see. Well, let’s not worry about that, then.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
I see. Well, let’s not worry about that, then.

One less worry. Good.

Podcasts, on the other hand, are a made-in-heaven match for the iPod.

iTunes makes it simple to find them and keep them updated (though I'm not sure if that's just the stuff Apple points me at or whether it's as simple for other 'casts. Will have to check that out).

They also make adapters that let you d/l photos from your camera's SD card to the iPod. The one I got from Belkin was not worth the money ... badly made, doesn't connect reliably (and that's the replacement for the first one, which was DOA, near as I could figure). Maybe somebody makes a better one now.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Don’t think I want pictures on an iPod.

For now, I am thinking of putting music that I converted to MP3 by listening to a CD in my computer, and saving the result. We have so many old CDs (not to mention old vinyl) that we do not get to listen to that it would foolish to buy much more.

But I figured I would at least try some podcasts. We’ll see; hope to have the thing tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Don’t think I want pictures on an iPod.

For now, I am thinking of putting music that I converted to MP3 by listening to a CD in my computer, and saving the result. We have so many old CDs (not to mention old vinyl) that we do not get to listen to that it would foolish to buy much more.

But I figured I would at least try some podcasts. We’ll see; hope to have the thing tomorrow.
re Pics on da Pod

For storing, not for viewing, in case that matters. IOW, it can be a handy little portable drive. And a music player. And a calendar. And stuff. No ginzu knives though. Sorry.

I've never moved pre-made MP3s into iTunes for shuffling off to the Pod, but iTunes makes it stone simple to rip CDs into its library and then synch them with the iPod.

www.pptools.com
and stuff