DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #21
Puschkinsdad

My wife and I each have our separate cell phone and cell phone number which remains the same as long as the phones are active, i.e. are funded for call minutes. Some time ago I got into the habit of funding them for a year, it takes $100 a piece to have the funds not elapse quicker. Even though a call minute costs 25 cents which by other phone service standards is a lot, neither one of us has yet succeeded in using up their $100 over the year because of the rather occasional and not regular usage of these phones. From my point of view, we have a phone for less than $10 a month each, it appears worth it for the peace of mind alone (emergencies), and on top of it, it comes in handy here and there for a quick call, for travel in the US and abroad, I even once used the (rather basic) built-in camera to record the situation and damages when I was rear-ended a few months ago (of course I own dedicated cameras as someone suggested elsewhere, but they were safe and sound in a drawer at home) ... if the phones were used more regularly, as a primary phone for instance as is the case with lots of active people these days, let alone for business purposes, this type of pre-paid arrangement would not be very economical. But as it is, there is by far no cheaper way to enjoy the benefits of a cell phone and I see absolutely no reason to change things.
Puschkinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #22
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Interesting. How do you keep track of the time to avoid running out?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #23
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #24
Michael Rowley

Hullo Opa:

Quote:
you guys are really something else!
I really don't know what that means; I expect it doesn't mean that you think we are original thinkers.

Quote:
On the one hand, you are fascinated by evolving technology
Well, speaking for myself, I am engaged in a struggle to try to get not too far behind—say, about a decade—but try to maintain the impression of having an intelligent interest in fairly recent technology.

Quote:
generalize folks in their 70s and 80's as clumsy and daft
Again speaking for myself, I've found that I am getting increasingly clumsy as I approach eighty, but I must admit to starting from a not very advanced level of digital dexterity. But I certainly would not generalize about septuagenerians or octogenerians, for very good reasons.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #25
SteveB

I checked out jitterbug on their site - it says they have no contracts so you can try it out without being tied to it for years.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #26
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
I checked out jitterbug on their site - it says they have no contracts so you can try it out without being tied to it for years.
Thanks. But I am not interested in it, and although I have gently nagged at him, neither is my husband — even though he claims to favor a really simple and cheap phone.

I think we are stuck for the moment. If one of the cute gimmicky ones ever sings sweetly enough to me, then I will have to grapple with contracts and all that.

Welcome to the forum!