DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Hard drives: SMART analyzers

Given all the talk about Seagate drives recently, I downloaded SMART Utility 2.0 — $25 from Volitans Software (30-day free demo), Mac only.

It scans internal hardware diagnostics built into many modern hard drives on a user-defined schedule and reports on risk factors that may predict a failure. If the drive is shown as failing or failed, you have some time to back it up and replace it.

Sounds like a great idea, so I installed it on my Mac’s internal drive. But I was disappointed when neither of my two external drives appeared, neither the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 (FireWire) or the SimpleTech 250 (USB2) showed up on its list.

Turns out that many external drives, including both of mine, are not readable. According to the SMART Utility FAQ, this is due to:
… a limitation of the external drive enclosures, and possibly the drivers used. Put simply, there are special commands in the ATA specification (the protocol that the drives use to communicate with the motherboard, which includes IDE and SATA) that the drives understand to access the SMART data. Most external drive enclosures only support the bare minimum of the ATA specification over the external connection interface (USB, FireWire, or eSATA), and that does not include the commands to access the SMART data. There are a few enclosures that do support it, but they are few and far between.
That probably means that no other SMART analyzer will work on those drives either. What a pity. I wonder if it would work if I installed it on the Seagate and booted from it?

Anyway, worth mentioning. If the drive you are worrying about is an internal this utility (or a similar one for Windows) might be very useful.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You might find this WIKI article of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_S.M.A.R.T._tools

Don't be disappointed about the tool failure you experiencec. The utility provided by Seagate to get serial numbers and revision data of their firmware from their own drives includes some test modules that ran on my Maxtor drives on the motheboard SATA controller but were "not available" on my Seagate SATA drive on the PCI card add-in SATA controller .....

You might see it FreeAgent Desktop Software does anything. There is a Mac version on the download links.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Downloaded the FreeAgent tools and will check that out later.

The Wikipedia page was amazing (sorry I didn’t look it up myself — tsk) but annoyingly laid out.

Many thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

KT:

My last computer (vintage 2000) was SMART-enabled, and it used to be very comforting to see the hard drive was 'OK'. But present day computers don't allow much time for seeing all the preliminary stuff, even if you've set up to see it.