DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #21
dthomsen8

Here are the Wikipedia links for the XD and SD memory cards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd_memory_card

The XD card is proprietary, but licensed to Fujifilm, Olympus and Toshiba, and just used in digital cameras. The SD card is used by a variety of devices, including digital cameras by many manufacturers.

My experience is that the XD card is more expensive than the same sized SD card. Perhaps that is not only because it is proprietary, but also because it is not used in such a variety of devices, and hence the volume is not nearly as large. I have a Fujifilm camera that uses the XD card.

There is a lot to know about digital camera memory chips, including compatibility issues with larger capacity chips, speed issues, and other details. That is why I provided the Wikipedia links.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Here are the Wikipedia links for the XD and SD memory cards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd_memory_card

The XD card is proprietary, but licensed to Fujifilm, Olympus and Toshiba, and just used in digital cameras. The SD card is used by a variety of devices, including digital cameras by many manufacturers.
Interesting - but I'm pretty sure I've seen mention of XD cards being used for other types of devices than just cameras - memo recorders or something.

Wait... that's exactly what the Wikipedia article says (so I remembered correctly):
Quote:
xD cards are used in Olympus and Fujifilm digital cameras and Olympus digital voice recorders; Fujifilm also made an MP3 player (xD-MP3) that used the cards.
This makes sense, of course since my (Fuji) camera is also capable of recording a voice note to accompany a picture, and of course video with sound.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #23
Mike
Staff

Just a thought about batteries. There's an advantage in a camera that uses standard batteries - if you find yourself without any charged batteries then it's generally easy to find some standard batteries.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #24
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Just a thought about batteries. There's an advantage in a camera that uses standard batteries - if you find yourself without any charged batteries then it's generally easy to find some standard batteries.
Oh, yes — and I believe this one, like the two older Olympus models we already have, will work with regular batteries.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #25
iamback

I'm in love with another camera - one that's been just released (presented on the Photokina late last year): the Panasonic DMC-G1 - the link is to a preview at dpreview.com, the site I like best for detailed camera reviews. But all teh reviews are good, and the owner of "my" photo shop agrees it's a really nice camera though he hadn't been abl;e to play with it yet (only briefly had it in his hands at Photokina). Compactness and light weight are major factors for me (essential for travel, especially when total weight of you luggage cannot be mor ethan 15KG!), as well as a decent pixel count (good enough to be able to try my hand at selling photos online) and a wide range of manual options. And the color - I want a red one! it's very likely by now I'll bite (and maybe trade in my old (analog) Canon EOS which I know I'll hardly touch any more once I have a camera like this).

Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Ah — a real, grownup camera (at a grownup price — and then you get to buy lots of lenses)!

Does look interesting. Jack would probably like it. I want a camera for idiots. Or at least I think I do. When I see all the keystone and other defects I may change my mind, but for now, I am mooning over that unavailable camera.

I do like the colored body on the Panasonic. The blue is lovely.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Ah — a real, grownup camera (at a grownup price — and then you get to buy lots of lenses)!
Yes, grown up - but at a size and weight of a compact: that's the little (r)evolution here! Not many lenses yet, but they'll come. For now, I'll do with the kit lenses, which seem to be quite good, although there's a Leica variant of the 14-45 already (which at EUR 700 I simply cannot afford right now!), and maybe another.

It feels like when I bought my first Canon EOS back in 1988: that type of electronic autofocus camera was quite new then and they started with only two models and two lenses - lots of lenses (including from other manufacturers) came later. That was the Canon EOS 620 which I traded in for a Canon EOS 5 - which I'll now (probably) trade in for the Panasonic. Not that it'll pay for it, but it will help. :-/

EDIT: Oh, I see dpreview.com has a real hands-on review now! That wasn't there yet when I started researching it.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
That was the Canon EOS 620 which I traded in for a Canon EOS 5 - which I'll now (probably) trade in for the Panasonic. Not that it'll pay for it, but it will help. :-/
Every little bit helps, especially if you don’t expect to use the older camera. Someone else can adopt it.

Do I detect a bit of restlessness? You must be planning a trip.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #29
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Lucky you -- 3in swing and tilt LCD .....

I really don't have time for interchangeable lenses though .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #30
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Do I detect a bit of restlessness? You must be planning a trip.
Planning? No, dear, I booked!! In fact, just yesterday I made the down payment on it. Such a relief, and excitement, after we both (my friend and I) could not travel at all last year.

We're joining a 35-day trip through Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. We were both immediately hooked when we saw this trip. Another friend of Carla is also coming, and we've started weekly hikes to get into shape (there will be hiking at least in Tajikistan). For such a trip, I simply must have a good camera (it's not as though you can go back "next week" for a better picture) - but luggage weight is limited to 15KG be cause of unavoidable internal flights; so: no lead bags full of film any more.