DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
john_b
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scottish Borders, UK
Posts: 208
Default Adblock Plus question

For the most part, Adblock Plus - for those of us who use it - does a pretty good job.

One of the UK newspapers - The Independent - seems to have found a way to circumvent it, although it may simply be me who can't set the filter properly.

Here, for example, is one of their stories and there are scrolling ads on the right of the page, many of which seem to come from doubleclick.net

Try as I might, I can't find a way to block these. I've used various combinations including wildcards but nothing seems to work - am I missing something?

Any help appreciated!
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

I don’t have much advice, but I have disabled AdBlock Plus because it didn’t seem to work properly, and when I tried to fiddle with the settings I only made things worse.

So I will follow this thread and try to learn something useful. Many people swear by that thing — I would like to get past swearing at it!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
john_b
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scottish Borders, UK
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
I don’t have much advice, but I have disabled AdBlock Plus because it didn’t seem to work properly, and when I tried to fiddle with the settings I only made things worse.
Do you mean that it didn't block ads as you would have expected, or that it caused some other problem?

Quote:
So I will follow this thread and try to learn something useful. Many people swear by that thing — I would like to get past swearing at it!
I must agree that it does seem a tad quirky, but I'd really, really like to get it work...
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
Do you mean that it didn't block ads as you would have expected, or that it caused some other problem?
That it did not block the ads I had hoped it would. I am quite sure the problem lies with me. (It has been a while, too; I do not remember exactly which ads I wanted to be sure of blocking. Perhaps I should turn it on again and take notes!)

I am also of two minds about ads: I don’t mind small ads (like the Google ones) on friendly sites. It is the big sites that bombard me (especially ads that flicker, bounce, or otherwise move around) that annoy me.

I must agree that it does seem a tad quirky, but I'd really, really like to get it work...

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
For the most part, Adblock Plus - for those of us who use it - does a pretty good job.

One of the UK newspapers - The Independent - seems to have found a way to circumvent it, although it may simply be me who can't set the filter properly.

Here, for example, is one of their stories and there are scrolling ads on the right of the page, many of which seem to come from doubleclick.net
I am not using Adblock (in any version) yet I see very few ads. What I use is a combination of shortcutting some domains via the hosts file (so nothing can get loaded from those domains), and a user stylesheet that simply makes a lot of ads disappear with CSS.

On the page in question I do see some ads, but no "scrolling" ads. At the bottom of the main content column I see a block of text ads (quasi-heading "Advertiser Links") which is filled with double-barreled scripts: an outer script that does a simple document.write() which itself inserts another script with the script tag (weakly) obfuscated, like this:
Code:
document.write( "<scr" + "ipt src='http://cmls.eu.overture.com/ls_js_1_0/?linkspotId="+OVcatid+"&source=independent_js_uk_linkspot_implem&NGrp=1&NKw=5'></SCR" + "IPT>" );
Plus a script building list elements for an unordered list. But it's not really intrusive.

In the sidebar, I see three search boxes (Mydeco furniture search, Property search and Book restaurants, styled differently), again not very intrusive (though the first has two static images), and a "Compare prices & shop online" block with some small images which comes via Kelkoo; adding a style rule to my user stylesheet to hide <div class="kelkooBox"> should get rid of that.

Quote:
Try as I might, I can't find a way to block these. I've used various combinations including wildcards but nothing seems to work - am I missing something?
Are you seeing other stuff than I just described?

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff
 
Kelvyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the Heart of the English Lake District
Posts: 1,381
Default

Just to check I looked at the page in FF with adblock and then in IE7. They are the same except for the static Advertiser links, which Adblock removes, but there is nothing there that I would call scrolling ads. The only "scrolling" that I see is the AJAX driven Editor's Choice and Promotions.

   
__________________
Kelvyn

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
john_b
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scottish Borders, UK
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I am not using Adblock (in any version) yet I see very few ads. What I use is a combination of shortcutting some domains via the hosts file (so nothing can get loaded from those domains)
That sounds a bit complicated. How would I do that if I knew that I'd never, ever, ever want to see anything from, say, doubleclick.net?

Quote:
On the page in question I do see some ads, but no "scrolling" ads. At the bottom of the main content column I see a block of text ads (quasi-heading "Advertiser Links") which is filled with double-barreled scripts... but it's not really intrusive.
No, those are fine. I just can't abide things that move. The right hand sidebar has at the top a section called Editor's Choice. The ads under that do scroll... slowly... but I've just noticed that there's a Pause button, so I can live with that...;-)

The ones under the Promotions heading also scroll. They're the ones I was really referring to - but perhaps I wasn't too specific - and they're the ones coming largely from doubleclick.net and also the ones I can't stop.

I just wondered why it was that if I told Adblock to block anything from doubleclick.net - as I thought I had - then I shouldn't be seeing them.
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
john_b
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scottish Borders, UK
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Just to check I looked at the page in FF with adblock and then in IE7. They are the same except for the static Advertiser links, which Adblock removes, but there is nothing there that I would call scrolling ads. The only "scrolling" that I see is the AJAX driven Editor's Choice and Promotions.
Yes, and I've just noticed that they have a Pause button, so that's fine.

[I just tried to view the page with IE but without success so I don't know what it would have looked like]

The ones in the Promotions section, though, do scroll and they're ones I was trying to stop.

I should add, by the way, that I'm not totally anti-advert and I accept that that's how these things are funded. My objection is to things that move...;-(

The ads are definitely coming from doubleclick.net so I wondered why Adblock wasn't stopping them. The filters I tried were:

*doubleclick.net*
ad.doubleclick.net
http://doubleclick.net*

No luck so far, though....
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,946
Default

Quote:
johnb: I just wondered why it was that if I told Adblock to block anything from doubleclick.net - as I thought I had - then I shouldn't be seeing them.
It's a bit more work but if you right-click the "promotions" area--in Firefox 2 or 3--there is an option to "AdBlock Frame" and if you choose that, it disappears and it sticks if you close FF and then reopen and enter the link...

I hate moving ads too!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
john_b
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scottish Borders, UK
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
It's a bit more work but if you right-click the "promotions" area--in Firefox 2 or 3--there is an option to "AdBlock Frame" and if you choose that, it disappears and it sticks if you close FF and then reopen and enter the link...
Brilliant! Thanks very much - I hadn't come across that before and it could be just the thing!

The resulting Adblock filter appears as a strange one:

|http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00109/*

Note the 'pipe' (?) character at the start - dunno what that means? I was a bit concerned that it might be specific to just one page, but I've tried it on a few and it seems to work so far - fingers crossed...;-)

Still don't know why my original filter didn't work, though, and it's odd that this one has no reference to doubleclick.net...

Quote:
I hate moving ads too!
Ah, but who are we to argue with those wiser souls who clearly believe that we like them...;-)
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Question Is...... George On Language & Literature 13 06-25-2008 12:24 PM
CSS question ktinkel Web Design 2 04-06-2008 05:32 PM
Ask Any Question Richard Waller The Corner Pub 3 12-18-2006 02:53 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't ask this question Franca On Language & Literature 12 04-18-2006 12:29 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.