DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 04-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Fetch shortcut lists

I manage several web sites, and would really like Fetch to start up with a shortcut list. Other than putting the shortcut list icon into the Dock, does anyone know how to do this?

Old 04-11-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I manage several web sites, and would really like Fetch to start up with a shortcut list. Other than putting the shortcut list icon into the Dock, does anyone know how to do this?
I do not know how to do that in an elegant way, but if you cancel out of the first screen you see, then you can use Recent whatever in the File menu to get to the last few locations you used.

Works okay for me.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I do not know how to do that in an elegant way, but if you cancel out of the first screen you see, then you can use Recent whatever in the File menu to get to the last few locations you used.

Works okay for me.
Well, it seems I have a more elegant way than yours. <g> When I set up a new FTP connection, I save it as a shortcut (in the Documents folder, which is the default), then open the Fetch Shortcut List and drag the saved shortcut into it.

After starting Fetch, I can then open the Shortcuts List and click on whichever one I want to access at any time during the day. I often access up to four different FTP sites a day, so this is handy. In fact, it's so handy that I often use Fetch rather than BBEdit for saving HTML files to the server, because BBEdit only allows me one connection at a time, whereas Fetch allows me as many as I need. If I remember in time that my current connection in BBEdit isn't the one I'm working with at the moment, it's far easier to use Fetch, rather than wait for BBEdit to activate the current one, tell it to change, respond to the dialogue box asking me if I really want to close the current connection, and then wait for the new connection to open.

I don't keep my connections active in Fetch. Do you? That would make things even faster.

But I want to have the Shortcuts List open automatically when I start Fetch. I think the only way I know to do that is to have it permanently in the Dock.

Did you see in INETPUB that I worked out how to transfer files server to server with Fetch? No bandwidth hit going to and from my machine.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Well, it seems I have a more elegant way than yours. <g> When I set up a new FTP connection, I save it as a shortcut (in the Documents folder, which is the default), then open the Fetch Shortcut List and drag the saved shortcut into it.
Yeah, I know all about that. Unfortunately, at some point I was having trouble giving Fetch access to servers (can’t remember exactly why — but access was denied repeatedly). When I finally succeeded in getting in, I would just link through the Recent list.

Quote:
I don't keep my connections active in Fetch. Do you? That would make things even faster.

But I want to have the Shortcuts List open automatically when I start Fetch. I think the only way I know to do that is to have it permanently in the Dock.
They close automatically after a few minutes. I do keep Fetch in the Dock, however, so it is only a click away.

Quote:
Did you see in INETPUB that I worked out how to transfer files server to server with Fetch? No bandwidth hit going to and from my machine.
I did. Can’t say I actually followed it, but mean to go back and read it.

I had my own computer adventures this past weekend and Monday that I’ll detail elsewhere. Not much time for real work (or fun either).

Old 04-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
They close automatically after a few minutes. I do keep Fetch in the Dock, however, so it is only a click away.
I'm talking about something else. This is the list that shows up when you select Open Shortcut from the File menu. If you select 'shortcut list' from the Window menu, you can keep it open as a window, and click on the various shortcuts at will, making it easy and quick to get from one FTP site to the next.

And you can set them to stay connected in the Preferences. I've never bothered.

I've got Fetch in the Dock too, but I wanted the shortcut list window to open automatically when I start Fetch.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I'm talking about something else. This is the list that shows up when you select Open Shortcut from the File menu. If you select 'shortcut list' from the Window menu, you can keep it open as a window, and click on the various shortcuts at will, making it easy and quick to get from one FTP site to the next.

And you can set them to stay connected in the Preferences. I've never bothered.

I've got Fetch in the Dock too, but I wanted the shortcut list window to open automatically when I start Fetch.
Now I get it. (Thanks!)

I need to reinstall Fetch, and when I do I’ll try to set it up more logically. It is kind of silly, the way I have been using it.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Now I get it. (Thanks!)

I need to reinstall Fetch, and when I do I’ll try to set it up more logically. It is kind of silly, the way I have been using it.
I was doing it the same way as you until recently, when the number of sites I was using increased to the extent that I had to find a better way. I thought I was very clever with my discoveries. <g>

Now I want something that's obviously impossible. I think I'll try the shortcut-list-in-the-dock trick.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
When I open Fetch it opens with a 'new connection' dialogue. At the bottom left of that diaalogue window is a short cuts pop-up.

The good news is that I only noticed that just now!

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
When I open Fetch it opens with a 'new connection' dialogue. At the bottom left of that diaalogue window is a short cuts pop-up.

The good news is that I only noticed that just now!
Well blow me down, I just restarted Fetch for the first time in days, and up pops the Shortcuts List window, right in the front, just the way I wanted it to!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch_startup.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	105  

Old 04-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Comedic Dyslexia Strikes Again ...
I'd just browsed down the new messages listing and was giving it a quick scan back up before marking everything read when I stumbled across this thread. Which rendered itself as "Fetish Shortcut Lists"

Who could pass up such a wonder?

But alas, it's of no use; I've a letch for the command line ftp fetch ... Mac Terminal works fine for that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote