DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 04-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
mact

Default MultiAd Creator?

I've been tasked with generating auto dealer newspaper insert flyers. They want them to look sorta-like newspaper classified display ads.

I've been using Corel Draw but want a little more "automatic" object creation, a little like the old Archetype Designer had in pre Win 95 days. Perhaps if Corel's styles were easier and more reliable...but they are not.

I tried loading my "service bureau" copy of MultiAd Creator 2 v 1.5 on my OS9 box, but it was causing conflicts cuz it didn't like OS9, wanted GX, hated the newer version of ATM I was using, etc. I tossed it. (they have an update to fix this problem, and I'll try re-installing it later).

They also have a Win version....listing for $99! That should be able to open files made with the older mac version.

I've never done anything but mess around with the app.

Anyone have some experience with it?

mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact
I've never done anything but mess around with [MultiAd Creator].

Anyone have some experience with it?
I have tested and reviewed it, but cannot pretend to have useful experience with it.

The service bureau operator I used in the late 80s, Gary Thompson (at Thompson & Thompson in Pittsburgh), used it all the time for just the sort of work you are thinking of, and he raved about it.

Unfortunately, his business has closed and I have lost touch with Gary. No help, I know.

I wonder if scripting with XPress or InDesign might not be a good direction to explore.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
mact

scripting is not in the cards. I don't do the same thing often enough to want to spend the time fooling around to get a 1-time script working. I agree that after awhile scripting becomes second nature...but that "while" is likely longer than i want to be doing "this stuff".

(what do folks who had service bureaus do when the work just doesn't pay the bills anymore? I did get a $9/hr offer from the local newspaper for a part time job doing retouching and such. But even the MickyD's locally pay almost that much.)

I have played a fair bit with the latest (demo) version (Creator 7) and found that the things that seemed so interesting can be done in Corel if I approach it the right way -- except for tables (which, BTW, only the newest version 7 of Creator has).

The Win "desktop" version is just $99, but it can only output composite, not seps. That works for making ads to go into a pagination product, but simply adds steps I'm trying to avoid in this case.The "pro" version, which can do seps, is $299 but I'm not interested in spending that much for a job that would take a couple months to amortize just the software (not even the $199 to upgrade my old mac version -- if they'll upgrade an NFR copy).

So....I guess I'll put it in the same category as PageStream, PagePlus, RSG, and others that it would be fun to play with but which simply make no economic sense.

mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
djb

We use it for our classified display. It's very strong for repetitive styles and grinding out the ads. Scriptability on the Mac is awesome. Recordable, attachable...

I don't work with it daily but my staff does. What do you need to know?

Oh, Creator 2 was a stillborn child. We're on version 6 and while I bought the C2 upgrade we never actually put it into production.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote