DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default E-mail blues

All of a sudden yesterday evening I became unable to send e-mail from any account that has its own SMTP — Eudora struggles for a minute or two, then tells me the server cannot be found.

Since that group includes my main e-mail address (“dominant” in Eudora parlance), it was extremely annoying.

Of course I figured it was the ISP, and they have been trying to help me unravel the problem. Turns out the guy also uses SBC DSL (in another part of the country), and he said they had changed something on his account so he could only send outbound e-mail through their servers.

So I went to the SBC web site and sure enough, they have put a “filter” on Port 25 so that I can only send e-mail through them, not via any other host. (Filter? I’d call it a block, myself!) They describe it as spam prevention.

Now I have three choices, to wit:
  • Convert my outgoing mail to the SBC SNET mail servers
  • Find alternate access for my 3rd party mail server (VPN, Web mail, Outlook Web Access)
  • Ask SBC to remove the SMTP port 25 filter from my account (with the suggestion that that request may not necessarily be granted)
So my question to the assembled multitude is: Is there any reason not to try to get the filter removed? Are there likely to be hidden ramifications?

Or, turn it around, should I mind being forced to use them for outbound e-mail? (I never use them for incoming.)