Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Peter:

Quote:
I did manage to produce an envelope according to what you advised
That was Steve! But I did give you the duff advice about the 'Internatioal Postal Union' (it should have been the Universal Postal Union), and I find that I was wrong about DL envelopes in general; but there are limits to the sizes of windows in window-envelopes, set nationally. This gives the size of windows in DL envelopes in the UK:

'United Kingdom: BS 4264 specifies that the transparent window on a DL envelope should be 93 × 39 mm large. Its top-left corner should be located 20 mm from the left margin and 53 mm from the top margin of the envelope. BS 1808 specifies an 80 × 30 mm large address panel on the letterhead. Its top-left corner is located 20 mm from the left margin and 51 mm from the top margin of the page. The address panel is embedded inside a 91 × 48 mm large exclusion zone whose top left corner is located 20 mm from the left margin and 42 mm from the top margin of the page. In other words, the area 9 mm above and below and 11 mm right of the address panel should be kept clean of any other printing.'

I use DL window envelopes, and there is space for one's return address and about six lines of address 10/12 pt. If you use a template there's not much trouble about placing the address in the right place, and you don't need to address envelopes. Tip: if your letter is to a UK address, the county is not needed, provided you have the post town; that saves a line!