DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #41
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
When I fired up my neighbor's new Mac, it asked for a few basic bits (what language did I want it to speak) then wanted to know if I had an older Mac and did I want to transfer my stuff.

Well sure.

It gave me a couple connection options (network, firewire) and from then on it led me step by step through the process, telling me exactly what to do at each step. Very simple.
Oh how very cool! Here I've been thinking I'd have to drag the old machine with me on the 2.5 hour trek to the nearest Apple Store, so they could do the transfer for me (and be stuck cooling my heels at that mall all day while they do it)!

Now...any idea what the setup software would do if the new Mac has just one internal hard drive and the old one has two internals? I'd hope that as long as the new internal was big enough to hold the contents of both internals it would transfer both, perhaps putting the contents of the non-boot drive into a folder of the same name.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #42
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
Oh how very cool! Here I've been thinking I'd have to drag the old machine with me on the 2.5 hour trek to the nearest Apple Store, so they could do the transfer for me (and be stuck cooling my heels at that mall all day while they do it)!

Now...any idea what the setup software would do if the new Mac has just one internal hard drive and the old one has two internals? I'd hope that as long as the new internal was big enough to hold the contents of both internals it would transfer both, perhaps putting the contents of the non-boot drive into a folder of the same name.
I don't know how it'd have dealt with two internals. Transferring the boot drive would be cake, if it goes as smoothly as it did here.

For the other one, could you share it over the network? Or isn't there some way you can set it up in whatzitcalled, target mode?

Is this a laptop or desktop? If it's a desktop, you could pull the drive and hook it up to a USB port on the new machine using one of these type of thingies:

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/ada...300/BT-300.htm

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #43
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Hm...so as long as I get the new machine to see and be seen by the Airport base station, I then fire up some migration app that will automatically make itself obvious on the new machine and set it to clone over to the new one?
Steve explains the process very well in his reply. It's totally painless, and everything works afterwards, including all the connections and passwords and links.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #44
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Or I could get another external drive, USB 2.0, and manually copy everything from internal #2 to that, then copy over what I want from there.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #45
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Steve explains the process very well in his reply. It's totally painless, and everything works afterwards, including all the connections and passwords and links.
Excellent news. Aliases might not work, but in the grand scheme of things those are easy to sort out.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #46
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Excellent news. Aliases might not work, but in the grand scheme of things those are easy to sort out.
They should work. I seem to recall that mine did.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #47
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Or I could get another external drive, USB 2.0, and manually copy everything from internal #2 to that, then copy over what I want from there.
That'd certainly work, and what with Black Friday/CyberMonday sales, there are some very nice deals on externals available at the moment.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #48
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
HOWEVER, if it's really REALLY simple to transfer yourself like you did, I could buy the new stuff on line, do the auto-transfer thing myself and save myself a lot of lugging, gasoline and time driving 2.5 hours one way to the nearest Apple Store.
I have done such transfers a few times over the last year...
When you start up the new computer, it asks if you want to transfer stuff. Say yes, connect the two machines with a firewire cable, T-boot the old machine, select the categories of things you want to transfer, and hit the button, then wait a (longish) while for it to process.

I wouldn't drive 2.5 hours to have somebody else do it.

--don

Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #49
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
OK, I phoned the freephone number and they gave me a code that sorted everything out.

Pretty painless.

Still don't like activation, though. I do wonder how much money software houses really lose through piracy of serious software - i.e. how many people buy the product because they can't pirate it.
I am struggling with ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus, which works fine on my newer Windows XP computer. On my older WinXP computer, the license expired and I bought a new license after downloading the trial version. Now I can't get the new version to work. I have all the activation information, tried to uninstall and reinstall, and now I am awaiting help from the support people again.

What I wonder is whether computer users change to a different software product after hassles like mine. Of course, they may still encounger a hassle with other software.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #50
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy View Post
I have done such transfers a few times over the last year...
When you start up the new computer, it asks if you want to transfer stuff. Say yes, connect the two machines with a firewire cable, T-boot the old machine, select the categories of things you want to transfer, and hit the button, then wait a (longish) while for it to process.
Have never T-booted a computer, so hopefully it's easy going from tower with two drives to either a MacBook Pro or iMac with just one drive.

When you did it, if the machine being copied had two drives, did the transfer process offer to let you txfr both drives' stuff or just the boot drive?