DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
BobRoosth

Default Reworked Site -- Advice Needed

I have been asked to modify a web site. After a couple of minutes I decided my first step would be to redraft the template to minimize tables and explicit font calls. But keep the same site design.

The original is http://www.edar.org. The first cut at a revision is here:

http://edar.org/new/indexnew.html

The one thing I have not been able to get working is to keep the display area centered in the browser window. I thought I could do this with some attribute on the #wrapper id. But I have not found the magic bullet.

Could one one of the css gurus out there give me a nudge in the right direction?
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Richard Waller

Excellent. Good for site name and purpose, and name and address clearly shown. Small point: I don't like the change of font size halfway down.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

to #wrapper add:

margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Add to wrapper this line —

margin: 0 auto;

Or replace the 0 with whatever margin you want for top and bottom.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
BobRoosth

Bingo. Thanks. I knew it had to be something simple.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
BobRoosth

Please allow me another question or two. I have posted the entire revamped site at http://edar.org/new/

The menu starts just a few pixels above the right column material. I have not found a way to adjust the spacing. Suggestions?

The original version has a gray bar below the menu. The easiest way I could see to create it was to style the last list element of the menu to be gray with a large height. But, of course, that height is fixed and page length varies. What can I place either as the last menu element or below the navcontainer that would be automatically be the correct height?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Why not make the nav box at left (with the menu at the top) all grey. Then give it min/max heights. If you really need white between the menu elements, then give them border-bottom: npx solid white;

Place your #content and #navcontainer divs () in a single div, then you could give the left column a height of 100%; that height would be driven by the active height of the #content box. (Then the grey would be as tall as the content, but no taller.)

Should work. Not too crude.

Cool product.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
BobRoosth

The containing DIV is already there. That seems to work, with one small issue I can't solve. There is a very thin gray line at the bottom. It has to be the underlap between #main and #content.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
The containing DIV is already there. That seems to work, with one small issue I can't solve. There is a very thin gray line at the bottom. It has to be the underlap between #main and #content.
I don’t see any grey line in Firefox 3.0.4. Nor in Safari 3.2. Try refreshing your screen or emptying your browser cache. Is it still there?

BTW: Do you have Firefox and its Web Developer plugin? I find it really useful for troubleshooting oddities.

I especially like the View Style Information (which gives you the line numbers of your CSS that affect the chosen object) and Display Element Information for any selected element (which provides the name and path). Its local validation modules are also useful.

(That plugin is supposedly incompatible with FF3, but even though every time I update the browser, the plugin remains and remains functional. So don’t believe everything you read.)

Old 11-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
BobRoosth

Working in Windows, I see it in IE7, FF3, Opera 9 and Chrome..... Sample below. I did not have the developer tools. I do now. Still exploring what they can tell me. I particularly like the Outline tools and the one that shows the names of various elements.

Do you know any tool that will consolidate the elements of a css? I found that somehow I had two versions of #main, among others. It is very easy to have related definitions far apart in the file, making it hard to read the file and know what goes with what. DW is not particularly good about showing the issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDAR_grayline.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1391