DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Happy (U.S.) Thanksgiving!

Best wishes for a pleasant and safe holiday.

We are having a quiet meal ourselves, though fairly traditional: roast turkey breast (I am trying really high heat this year); old-fashioned bread dressing (with onions, celery, walnuts, and a bit of Italian semolina raisin bread in addition to regular whole wheat and white, spiced with Bell’s seasoning); homemade cranberry sauce (such a big deal! — simmer cranberries in simple syrup for 10 minutes, finished with tangerine zest and a spoonful of cointreau); and asparagus (steamed, buttered, with grated parmesan). And if we have any capacity, some pumpkin pie (Mrs. Smith’s, from the freezer).

We will start with a glass of Alsatian riesling with appetizers (yet to be determined; nothing very heavy, that’s for sure). Then a red (maybe a pinot noir; I asked for chateau-neuf-du-pape, but Jack frowned at that) with the bird.

No football. At least so I hope.

All the best to everyone.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Happy turkey day to you too...

I'm in the midst of prep myself--rotisserie turkey breast from Harris Teeter is warming, potato is baking, need to make the sutffing and the green beans...

I'm hungry!!! '-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

I was going to post a Thanksgiving report but I am tooooo stuffed! Hope everyone had a lovely day! How did the high heat go, Kathleen?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

My niece and chef hubby had a private dinner today at their restaurant here, open only to family and employees and their immediate families. Most employees had places to go already, so the party stayed small and fairly intimate.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I was going to post a Thanksgiving report but I am tooooo stuffed! Hope everyone had a lovely day! How did the high heat go, Kathleen?
It went great (meaning I would do it again — that is already how I roast chickens). But there was a snag (isn’t there always?). I placed the darned thing in the oven so the two breast halves were parentheses-like. While roasting, it fell over to one side. I left it, thinking it was no big deal (and that entropy rules!), but turned out only the top piece actually cooked.

So we had to slice the breasts off the carcass, and give one of them more roasting. No big deal; we ate less than half of the other. But it lent an air of calamity that I wanted no part of!

I meant to remove the birdlet (no legs — poor thing) when it was 155°F by my trusty Thermapen, so it could glide up to 160° while resting. That part worked perfectly — the breast was moist, tender, and tasty (even though a no-name turkey). I also roasted the wings, separately. My current dental crisis has me in a temporary bridge right in front, so no biting allowed. But I sliced a few morsels from the wings, and they too were delicious.

The skin was crisp. Also a bit tougher than I expected.

I used 450°F, by the way. Bird on a rack in a shallow pan. Figure about an hour for turkey breast, 45 minutes to an hour for a chicken.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Happy turkey day to you too...

I'm in the midst of prep myself--rotisserie turkey breast from Harris Teeter is warming, potato is baking, need to make the sutffing and the green beans...

I'm hungry!!! '-}}
Next year remind me to do it your way. I am just not up for these complicated meals any more! As it was, I told Jack that if he wanted potatoes he should buy them, so he got some from Boston Market, along with a pint of tolerable turkey gravy.

I did take time after dinner to de-glaze the roasting pan, so I have enough for a decent home-made gravy for hot turkey sandwiches, maybe tomorrow. And I bought a package of turkey necks, and will make a stock of those and the carcass so we can have turkey soup as well. But over the next couple of days. Enough already! I think we’ll have Chinese take-out for Christmas. <g>

We are meant to be thankful. I was (am) — that I never had to prepare any meal under the conditions common in the 17th century!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Next year remind me to do it your way.
Well...the Harris Teeter turkey breast was not very good--no flavor really--but I was eating off the top part which was very dried out but the bottom portion looks a bit better so I'll try that tonight and see if there is any flavor. I'm not really a turkey breast person as I prefer the drumstick and dark meat with just a little white meat so it was sort of stupid of me to buy this turkey breast and expect it to be good--I had wanted to buy a duck at Costco but couldn't find any.

The very best turkey I've ever had was from a local Greek place that for a time had a chicken only store that sold lovely roast chicken with fabulous roasted potatoes and I ordered a turkey from them one year and could barely stop myself on the drive home from pulling off on the side of the road and diving into the still warm turkey I'd just picked up...

>>And I bought a package of turkey necks, and will make a stock of those and the carcass so we can have turkey soup as well.

I don't know if it's just that whenever my mom made turkey soup, I was just too turkey'd out but I don't care for turkey soup...'-}}

>>But over the next couple of days. Enough already! I think we’ll have Chinese take-out for Christmas. <g>

LOL!!! Sound perfect...'-}}

Terrie
Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I'm not really a turkey breast person as I prefer the drumstick and dark meat with just a little white meat so it was sort of stupid of me to buy this turkey breast and expect it to be good--I had wanted to buy a duck at Costco but couldn't find any.
Me neither. But this tooth problem has me eating only things I can cut small; I would rather be gnawing at bones!

Quote:
The very best turkey I've ever had was from a local Greek place that for a time had a chicken only store that sold lovely roast chicken with fabulous roasted potatoes and I ordered a turkey from them one year and could barely stop myself on the drive home from pulling off on the side of the road and diving into the still warm turkey I'd just picked up...
That sounds wonderful. Too bad it was in the past.

Quote:
I don't know if it's just that whenever my mom made turkey soup, I was just too turkey'd out but I don't care for turkey soup...'-}}
I’m not either, truth to tell. But then I can use the stock for risotto, or for gravy for leftover turkey. The necks seemed like a good idea at the time. (They have a lot of connective tissue so make a lovely stock.)

Old 11-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: I’m not either, truth to tell. But then I can use the stock for risotto, or for gravy for leftover turkey.
I'll bet it's wonderful...

>>The necks seemed like a good idea at the time. (They have a lot of connective tissue so make a lovely stock.)

Yes...I think my mom used to do that too...

I do hope your tooth gets fixed soon...

Terrie
Old 11-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I do hope your tooth gets fixed soon...
I wish! I am having a bone graft, which needs about six weeks to “take” — and that will be in early January.

Then I can have impressions, then another couple of weeks to get the final bridge.

I am used to this stuff, but am sick of spending the holiday season unable to bite anything! Grump. <g>