DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,501
Default Anti-Virus: Why scan hard disk?

Once the hard disk is scanned for the first time by AV software, why bother having it do regular scans. If it is doing live protection, it will catch viruses as they come in and catch viruses as they go out. And if that is not enough, it will stop you from launching a program that contains a virus. So why stress your hard disk by having AV software grind through all the files once a week?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Once the hard disk is scanned for the first time by AV software, why bother having it do regular scans.
That's been my theory for years now. With anti-virus software being a lot better now than it used to be, and with the average user just knowing in general how not to be stupid in using the computer, there's just not a lot of concern anymore.

I've never had a real problem except once. Just after 9-11, I was debating a lot of Muslims, and coincidentally, I was unable to get into my control panel then. Maybe a virus, or maybe someone got into the system screwing around, or maybe just Windows being weird. But the time to be careful, at least for me, is during debates with people who do not like your positions.

I see the Pentagon just got compromised with a big worm in a big way. Apparently, it came from China. The Chinese have also been playing with the IMF and World Bank, and other major type institutions.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Robin Springall
Member
 
Robin Springall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
So why stress your hard disk by having AV software grind through all the files once a week?
Because nuffink's perfect, Andrew: some scumware will get through your live defender.

   
__________________
Robin
Intellectually challenged, alcoholically propelled
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

I'm with Andrew - the on-access scanning will get the baddies, and that happens during backups which access all files. I started out doing weekly scans (at night), but stopped doing that when the scans didn't even finish overnight because there were just too many files to scan all at once.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

Quote:
andrew: So why stress your hard disk by having AV software grind through all the files once a week?
I don't have real-time protection or email protection turned on in my AV software so it ain't gonna catch anything live...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
CWM480
Member
 
CWM480's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
That's been my theory for years now. With anti-virus software being a lot better now than it used to be, and with the average user just knowing in general how not to be stupid in using the computer, there's just not a lot of concern anymore.

I've never had a real problem except once. Just after 9-11, I was debating a lot of Muslims, and coincidentally, I was unable to get into my control panel then. Maybe a virus, or maybe someone got into the system screwing around, or maybe just Windows being weird. But the time to be careful, at least for me, is during debates with people who do not like your positions.

I see the Pentagon just got compromised with a big worm in a big way. Apparently, it came from China. The Chinese have also been playing with the IMF and World Bank, and other major type institutions.

George

I kind of disagree.... because for me.. AVAST ( FREE EDITION ) has caught a couple things running a SCAN that the LIVE protection might of missed and got embedded into my system and running a scan caught it!

   
__________________
================
~ Christopher ~


MY BLOG
CWM480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anti-Virus w/o Internet dthomsen8 Software 1 09-22-2007 08:42 AM
NOD32 Anti-virus program dthomsen8 Software 19 09-21-2007 08:44 AM
Disk Space Archers Print Design 7 03-18-2007 02:48 PM
No internal floppy disk dthomsen8 The Corner Pub 28 05-31-2006 02:43 PM
DiskWarrior steps for farkled disk ElyseC General Publishing Topics 60 08-26-2005 03:21 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.