DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky4forums View Post
I think the recommendation for Time Machine is to have about twice as much space as the disk(s) you are backing up. My main HD is 120G which is about 2/3s full. My external Time Machine HD is a 500G. It is about 1/3 full and has backups back to March when I installed 10.5 and turned on TM. I turned on journaling on all my HDs for "just in case". It helps the system recover data if the system goes down for some reason (crash or power failure).
The internal drive on the iMac (my main machine) has 230GB capacity. The G4 has two drives, an 80 and a 120 — a total of 430GB.

One objective is to clone-copy the contents of all those so I can clean up duplicates and other junk (there is a lot of overlap between the two machines).

I should be able to set up a couple of boot partitions (for Tiger and Leopard) plus copy all that stuff to the 750. But it might make more sense to have a second drive for auto backups, maybe even Time Machine if I decide that Leopard will work for me.

I remember there being some Leopard problems that might affect me; perhaps they have been resolved. I have the software, so once I figure out what I want to do, will install and update it, probably on the external.

The reason I asked about journaling is that I read somewhere — in MacWorld or Pogue’s column or somewhere — that backup drives should not be journaled. It didn’t make a ton of sense to me at the time.

Thanks for the help.