DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Portable OSX backup software?

Mac users: Have you used the open source Portable OSX to format a backup drive?

According to the download site:
PortableOSX installs a full or stripped down version of Mac OS X to a mobile device, such an USB2 or FireWire drive. The resulting OS X installation can be bootable by both Intel and (recent) PPC Macs. It can also generate custom Mac OS X install DVDs.

Seems to be a beta, and do not see any signs of recent work (last in March 2007 to the best I can figure out).

If not that, then what should I use to partition a backup drive to have a bootable partition and a backup partition on OS X 10.4.11?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Howard Allen

Kathleen--

I use SuperDuper!. US$30. It makes a perfect clone of your boot drive to an external drive, is simple and intuitive to use, and works great. It gets rave reviews from most of the usual suspects. If your main boot drive goes kaput, just boot from the clone and you're back in business.

I have an external drive that's partitioned for the SuperDuper! clone and for Time Machine (10.5/Leopard), for regular, incremental backups. Even if you stick with Tiger, just having the SuperDuper! clone is good peace of mind.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Thanks. Seems to be the universal recommendation.

Do you use Extended Journaled for any or all the partitions on the backup drive?

I figured I would have two bootable partitions, one for Tiger, which I use now, and another for Leopard, which I want to test without a commitment.

A third as a sort of junk box, a place to work on organizing my files.

And a fourth for use as an automatic backup drive.

I have a 750GB drive, and in theory it is sufficient for all this, though I am tempted to get a separate one for the junk box, thus hedging my bets.

Any advice on that?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Howard Allen

Yes, both the partitions on my backup drive are formatted as Extended Journaled. I'm not an expert on that stuff, but apparently that's the best format to use in case of a drive failure, as the "journal" keeps some sort of record of your directory, and makes recovery easier. Fortunately, I've never had to find out (knock on wood). AFAIK it also takes up a little extra space on the partition, but I think it's generally recommended for formatting.

Quote:
another for Leopard, which I want to test without a commitment.
FWIW, I installed Leopard a few months ago and have had no regrets whatsoever. It seems to work fine with CS3 (if that's a concern). Of the new gimmicks, I use Time Machine and Quick Look (space bar opens a preview of files in the Finder) a lot--I find this very handy for PDFs, .doc and text files, etc. The rest of the stuff I don't much notice or use. As far as I'm concerned, the rest is not much different from Tiger, and just as stable, if not more so.

As far as drive size is concerned, again I'm not the best person to give advice. Time Machine uses whatever you give it for incremental backups. When it runs out of room on the drive/partition, it starts overwriting the oldest backups. Therefore, the bigger the better as far as that goes. I don't do any video work and don't save music files or many photos, so I'm not very demanding of hard drives. My external drive is 500GB: I gave 100GB to the SuperDuper! clone (my MacBook Pro's internal drive is 100 GB and it's half full), the rest goes to Time Machine. I have a small 30GB drive that I occasionally use for a "junk box" (to borrow your term), but it doesn't get much use. For me, 750GB would be tons of space.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thank you! It all makes sense. Now just to drag myself into doing the work! <g>

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
sky4forums

I think the recommendation for Time Machine is to have about twice as much space as the disk(s) you are backing up. My main HD is 120G which is about 2/3s full. My external Time Machine HD is a 500G. It is about 1/3 full and has backups back to March when I installed 10.5 and turned on TM. I turned on journaling on all my HDs for "just in case". It helps the system recover data if the system goes down for some reason (crash or power failure).

Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky4forums View Post
I think the recommendation for Time Machine is to have about twice as much space as the disk(s) you are backing up. My main HD is 120G which is about 2/3s full. My external Time Machine HD is a 500G. It is about 1/3 full and has backups back to March when I installed 10.5 and turned on TM. I turned on journaling on all my HDs for "just in case". It helps the system recover data if the system goes down for some reason (crash or power failure).
The internal drive on the iMac (my main machine) has 230GB capacity. The G4 has two drives, an 80 and a 120 — a total of 430GB.

One objective is to clone-copy the contents of all those so I can clean up duplicates and other junk (there is a lot of overlap between the two machines).

I should be able to set up a couple of boot partitions (for Tiger and Leopard) plus copy all that stuff to the 750. But it might make more sense to have a second drive for auto backups, maybe even Time Machine if I decide that Leopard will work for me.

I remember there being some Leopard problems that might affect me; perhaps they have been resolved. I have the software, so once I figure out what I want to do, will install and update it, probably on the external.

The reason I asked about journaling is that I read somewhere — in MacWorld or Pogue’s column or somewhere — that backup drives should not be journaled. It didn’t make a ton of sense to me at the time.

Thanks for the help.