DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

At the risk of providing pointless direction I'll mention my old comrades.

www.tictacphoto.com

I say risk because they have all of the production facilities / abilities you need but are focused on printing 1 to 50 books. That said, I'm sure they'd LOVE to print a few thousand books (but I'm not sure if the cost per would make sense).

You're still gonna need a Photoshop geek to prep your photos (or the knowledge to do it yourself which, as you've seen, can be non-trivial). If you want to try "tossing a book together" as a test to see where you can get with little or no effort (and the materials you have on hand) let me know and I'll make a call and get you a promo code for a discount (perhaps 100%, perhaps not ... it depends).

You can download the editor application and toss your JPEGs into it and it will tell you if they are suitable for printing or not (from a resolution perspective).

Worth a try,
JR

PS - My new comrades (www.mimeo.com) have even nicer facilities / presses but they don't tend to make photo books (technically, we do and for the public but not in any way I could describe without having to kill you afterward). If you're near Memphis, TN drop by, I'll give you a tour.
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #22
digitalpic

That is very generous of you, thanks for the offer. I'll see what I can do, but will have to wait till after the holidays. Things are hectic here at home and at work. Really enjoy receiving these new options from yourself and the others on the forum. Broadens my outlook and provides new choices & ideas. Speaking of TN area I visited the Shiloh battlefield in summer of 2007 with another history buff. Love that area, so uncrowded and rural. Great driving tour that ended at Field of Dreams in Iowa. Good road food restaurants too.
digitalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #23
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Duct Tape For Dummies (a natural born book title if ever there was one! whattahoot)

Unfortunately, Pat passed away a few years back, but her partner is part of a lunch bunch, so I see her fairly often. In fact, some of us are going to see the Triceracopter as it's installed in a new (and with luck) permanent home.

Once in a while we have lunch at her studio; I'll miss having the monster glaring at us from over in the corner. I think.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #24
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

O.
M.
G.

The kid's amaaaazing.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #25
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
But you will almost certainly have to compromise on physical quality (really good photo books are expensive to produce) unless you can pay the cost of printing.
Blurb (it's a company) claims to print from high-quality files, including Mac-produced or Windows-produced files. Blurb was started by a woman who wanted to self-publish a book mainly displaying high-quality photos.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #26
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Mimeo, hey? Small world. They're .. uh ... you're one of the sponsors for a conference I work at every year. (PPTLive)

There was a problem with the conference guides once and we were all pretty amazed at the lengths Mimeo went to in order to make everything right. Impressive outfit.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Blurb (it's a company) claims to print from high-quality files, including Mac-produced or Windows-produced files.
High-quality files? Of course. That doesn’t necessarily define the result, however.

I have mixed feelings about this sort of print-on-demand enterprise, especially when high quality is important. It isn’t obvious what technology is used, but it seems unlikely it is offset printing. How durable are their inks? How true to color? There seems to be no mention of color proofs, and what you order, you keep (no refunds; returns only for production defects).

Then there is the cost: $30 for a 200-page 7X7-inch paperback ($27 if you order more than 10 at once) is high. The stock is 80# matte coated, which should be fine, but I would want a sample before running the job. (The premium paper is 100# silk finish; yuck.)

This is probably a good choice if you want a book of pictures commemorating a wedding, reunion, etc. — where the run will be too short for conventional printing and the requirements are personal, not commercial.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #28
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpic View Post
So the bottom line regarding the jpegs I have stored in my computer is that in order for them to be prepped for book publication they need to be of high resolution. The ones I've collected from these gentlemen vets probably won't cut it.
Right.

Quote:
Thus, what I need to do, which I don't mind doing, is contacting the photograph owners and have them re-scan the photos, this time as a TIFF file, correct?
Ideally, you would get loan of the original images, then have somebody with proper expertise scan and color correct them. Format is not as important as image quality.

Quote:
As for further instructions I'm at a lost.
What I would do is to use the imaes that you have to (perhaps with the help of a graphic designer) design and layout the book. Then, after you have decided which images to include, and at what size, go back and ask for the originals of each of those pictures. Then you can have the originals scanned to the proper specifications, and replace the low-res image with the proper one.

--don

Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpic View Post
That is some good food for thought. Thanks. I'm assuming there's probably a website I can access that would help me? I'll see if GOOGLE has anything about book agents. Thanks again.
I would suggest you go to your library and get the current (probably dated some time in 2008) edition of Writers’ Market, an annual reference for writers that includes listings of publishers, agents, illustrators, and others in the publishing game.

It also includes articles on what services you should expect from an agent — advice on how to find one, for example, and some clues as to how you can persuade them to take on your book. If you know any published writers, you should also ask them for information about their agents, and if they will give you a referral.

To aid you in all this, you should probably assemble some collection of the photos along with proposed text, and make a small (8-page, maybe) booklet in the form of a PDF to send to any agents or publishers who let you get your foot in the door. It should be as representative of what you want to publish as you can manage.

There are on-line writers’ groups but there is more opportunity for foolishness or error that way. The Writers’ Market has been around for decades, and its authors do understand how publishing works. It is a very useful reference. Then, if you want to tiptoe into on-line services, you will have some weapons to help you sort useful information from balderdash.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
terrie
Staff

Quote:
digitalpic: So the bottom line regarding the jpegs I have stored in my computer is that in order for them to be prepped for book publication they need to be of high resolution. The ones I've collected from these gentlemen vets probably won't cut it. Am I correct so far?
Probably...particularly if the jpg's were saved to be sent via email because usually the key intent is for the smallest filesize rather than highest quality...

>>Thus, what I need to do, which I don't mind doing, is contacting the photograph owners and have them re-scan the photos, this time as a TIFF file, correct?

Jpg's would be ok if and only if they are saved at the highest quality level and then when you worked on them, you saved a work copy as a TIFF or PSD--you don't want to resave jpg's as over time you can have degredation issues...

>>As for further instructions I'm at a lost. I'm dealing with black&white, color, polaroid and prints from slides.

If possible, the best thing would be to get the originals--in whatever format--and do the scanning and any corrective work yourself...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote