DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Very interesting work. I especially like her self-portrait.
She literally cast herself for that role. If I have it right, there was lots of plastic wrap and vaseline involved. It took longer than planned to get all the plaster on, and by the time the last bit went on, the early bits had set up.

She was trapped.

Her partner had to use a Dremel tool or something like that to get poor Pat out of her shell.

I must've winced when I heard that story ... thinking "One slip of the wrist and there's gore all over the nice clean plaster". Partner hastened to add that she'd taped a quarter to one finger and worked through the plaster against that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Yikes! Talk about giving yourself to your art (or almost, anyway!)

There is a popular method of making your own dressmaker’s dummy for fitting women’s clothes by putting on a bra, t-shirt, and panties and having someone wrap you in duct tape (what else?). Then they carefully slit it up the front and the back, you step out, tape it back together,and get a virtual body cast.

My sister and I were going to try it but after reading all the details, I balked at the slitting it part.

Your friend is obviously very brave.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: If you like choppers, you might enjoy Pat Renick's Triceracopter
That is very cool and so is her self-portrait...

Speaking of helicopters, people might find this video pretty amazing--it's a remote controlled helicopter and you need to wait until about the 0:40 mark for it to really get going...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
digitalpic

That is pretty wild, but wildly creative. I'll have to show that to my helo vet buddies. Thanks for the hyperlink. Much appreciated.
digitalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
digitalpic

So the bottom line regarding the jpegs I have stored in my computer is that in order for them to be prepped for book publication they need to be of high resolution. The ones I've collected from these gentlemen vets probably won't cut it. Am I correct so far? Thus, what I need to do, which I don't mind doing, is contacting the photograph owners and have them re-scan the photos, this time as a TIFF file, correct? As for further instructions I'm at a lost. I'm dealing with black&white, color, polaroid and prints from slides. Here's where things get bogged down, unable to progress beyond collecting the digital images from the vets. Whoa is me.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
digitalpic

That is amazing stuff, the controller guy really has the delicate touch skipping above the water like that. I wonder how the fish are thinking about this weird, noisy bird above them.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
digitalpic

Terrie, if ever this project gets moving beyond me merely collecting digital images I'll be needing a Photoshop person for sure. Here's a thought I had which maybe you or a forum member can respond to: would a book publisher agree to act as the printer & distributor only, and accept the finished manuscript with pics as submitted. What I'm asking is do pub houses ever do this, because I feel this project really requires TLC which I fear they, the publisher, will have short supply of. Also, my vision for this book would probably be circumvented once I sell this project to a pub house. Going partners with a pub house might do the the trick, if things like this are done in the industry.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
digitalpic

That is some good food for thought. Thanks. I'm assuming there's probably a website I can access that would help me? I'll see if GOOGLE has anything about book agents. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpic View Post
… would a book publisher agree to act as the printer & distributor only, and accept the finished manuscript with pics as submitted.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what some publishers do. Unfortunately, because they know stuff that writers/creators do not, and you miss out on that expertise. Yet they take the lion’s share of the proceeds.

Quote:
What I'm asking is do pub houses ever do this, because I feel this project really requires TLC which I fear they, the publisher, will have short supply of.
If you find the right publisher it will share your concerns, and produce the book of your dreams.

If you cannot find a good publisher, you might be better off self-publishing the book. But you will almost certainly have to compromise on physical quality (really good photo books are expensive to produce) unless you can pay the cost of printing. And, more importantly, you will lose the ability to reach the majority of bookstores, as the publishers have a lock on those.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
digitalpic

Really don't want to self publish so I will search out the best publisher for this book project. Start from square one and hope for the best. Will see what happens. Give it my best shot. Thanks for all your supportive advice. Very much appreciated.