DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Mimi Rogers
Banned

Default What DTP Software do you use?

I'm considering several different software programs to purchase and was wondering what some of you are using.
  1. Broderbund -- I have PrintShop22 and it's pretty nice but they have a newer one
  2. Serif (any and all)
  3. Adobe PageMaker
I need something that can work with graphics and photos too.

Also, if anyone has an older version of InDesign they'd like to sell, I'd be interested.

Thank you,

Susan

Last edited by Mimi Rogers; 11-14-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Instant Email Notification
Mimi Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

If you work in the field, you probably need InDesign (and the rest of the CS suite) or QuarkXPress (plus Photoshop and probably Illustrator). Not because no other application will do the job but because these programs make you compatible with most photographers, illustrators, printers, and others in the field. They also support color management and enable decent typography. They (mostly InDesign these days) are also the frame of reference for discussing problems or other adventures with other users on forums like this one.

But if you do not have to work with others then all you really need to prepare for the press is the ability to make a good PDF. I think Serif Page Plus would do. PageMaker is no longer supported, and is getting cranky about PDFs at this point. Hard to understand why you would be looking for older software, unless you are also using older hardware.

No one can sell you an older version of InDesign unless they also sell you their complete license (i.e., unless they are giving up use of the program altogether). Be wary of anyone who offers it, as you will not be able to upgrade or get support from Adobe.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
George

Mimi,

I'll tell you my impression.

Printshop is for people at home who want to publish something for personal use.

Serif PagePlus is for the small business that wants to do its own publications at a fraction of the cost of using a professional while still being competitive in design.

Adobe Indesign is for people who are dedicated design professionals in a competitive publishing market.

Serif PagePlus in version 9.0
costs $15 with shipping and is very easy to use (but don't bother with the free version, as too much is eliminated). It's a good place to start to learn professional level DTP software while still being able to put out a quality product. The later versions of PagePlus are even more sophisticated, but in all of them, you can do PDFs, and some graphical and animation work. I think the software is just a lot of fun, and when I call Serif in Nottingham, I end up talking to the representative for an hour over American and British relations -- that's fun too, (and I'm basically nice to Gordon Brown... I think) -- but they're nice people. They understand how to use the English language and that sense of logic is prevalently found in their software designs.

I have Serif Photoplus 11 as well, which I got off e-bay for $10. It is incredibly like Adobe Photoshop, but it doesn't have the nice filters. Of the many graphics software programs I have, I find I most often go now to Photoplus. It opens Adobe Photoshop files. I wonder if PagePlus opens Indesign.

At any rate, I don't think you can go wrong with Serif -- it is nice stuff, (with the exception of WebPlus, which is horrible, but I was told to try the new version as it is much improved -- but do I want to spend the money to find out, especially since I like a text editor??)

Moon Crescent is an interesting name. I'm not sure how everyone might relate to it though.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

If you don't want to spend the amounts Adode and Quark charge for their applications you could do worse that going down the Serif route.

Corel X4 is a good option for an all in one solution.

I usually recommend Scribus (which is an Open Source application) as a viable alternative, even if I wouldn't use it for larger projects. But for leaflets, booklets and stuff like that it is perfectly fine (I have an older version of Quark but would rather use Scribus whenever I can) and you can make good press PDFs with it as well.

I usually use ACD Canvas, but wouldn't recommend buying into it as it is a little uncertain what is going on with it currently.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

If you are on Windows, I can second CorelDraw for page makeup - not quite as polished as Quark or Indesign, but more than capable for most jobs. You can usually buy older versions quite cheaply - from v7 onwards was OK (or at least that used to be the case).

If you want long document features (for technical publications, books etc.), then better to go for Framemaker or Ventura etc.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
Mimi Rogers
Banned

What do you think about Serif PagePlusX2. I received an e-mail from them and can acquire it for $29.0. I know they've come out with X3, but I'm really trying to keep my budget down. And this would enable me to get the PhotoPlus program too.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
Mimi Rogers
Banned

Default What DTP Software do you use?

What do you think about Serif PagePlusX2. I received an e-mail from them and can acquire it for $29. I know they've come out with X3, but I'm really trying to keep my budget down. And this would enable me to get the PhotoPlus program too.

Word can handle most of my long documents that are mainly text, i'm just needing something that is more creative graphic-wise.

P.S. Crescent Moon Designs -- Just the name of my business. I wish now that Id named it something else, but had to come up with something before i could even start on my website. But that was then, and now I know I could have gone another way, but ... live and learn.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi Rogers View Post
What do you think about Serif PagePlusX2. I received an e-mail from them and can acquire it for $29.0.
Definitely go for it! If you start with X2, maybe it will seem complicated at first, but it is actually easier than 9.0 And X2 is actually what I meant by the software being fun. Like to apply a style, I run my cursor over a little arrow on the left and a big list of styles pops out from under the left paste board border, and I click the style, and immediately the list goes back under the boarder. It takes a half second. Now, you don't need that type of technology, but it's just fun.

It you put all the studio menus in your paste board area, the document seems like a patient, and you're the surgical team. So, overall X2 can look a bit sophisticated at first, compared to 9.0, but just start with something simple, and then quickly you should see how easy the stuff is to use.

Look at the manuals that come with the software. They were created with X2. So you can be confident that you can put out very professional looking publications for just about any situation.

I don't believe the improvements with X3 are that significant. Like they say it has a better BookPlus -- which organizes multiple document chapters into a book, but I think you should be well satisfied with X2.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Two recommendations for CorelDraw now, and that puzzles me.

I use it myself, and have since it was first released, but I wouldn't suggest using it for DTP, at least not for anything beyond short documents (for which I agree, it'd be quite good).

Mimi, if you consider Draw, look for the odd-numbered versions ... a bit of CoreLore there. The even ones are losers. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

CorelDraw still has PDF export problems (eg overprinting doesn't work); it won't import Photoshop files with layer effects, or later versions of PDF files. Having said that, we use it frequently for quick stuff here.