DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
boss hogg

Default 10,000 dpi Print Driver - Vista

Can anyone receomend a high resolution print driver for Vista? I'm after postscript output, with a minimum of 10,000 dpi for an optical application. So far, i can't find anything bigger than 2400, and i'm having to load and try them all one at a time !

Thanks if anyone can assist !
boss hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Unless you work in Intel research (e.g., making something like a low density IC) I don't see how you'd have such a device. Please elaborate. When it comes to PostScript, here's nothing one must do to create a 10,00dpi "driver" other than make a PPD that provides information about a 10,000dpi PostScript RIP/Device. That said, please tell us more about what you're trying to do as I've never seen a 10,00dpi device (and think you may be thinking about your printing needs incorrectly).

Cheers,
JR
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
boss hogg

Hi JR - thanks for the response.

The application we have is a photographic one - and we actually image upto 64k dpi on our main mask writing machine. We normally get CAD files sent to us, which we convert to our own internal format, but in this instance i have to go through postscript.

I've looked into PPD's, but i'm using vista and this doesn't seem to support non-signed drivers and PPD's - hence i was looking for a standard printer driver. AutoCAD has a 5000dpi postscript driver, but that isn't sufficient for this particular job.

thanks again !
boss hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< but i'm using vista and this doesn't seem to support non-signed drivers and PPD's >>

I'm no expert on this but while I think that is true for VISTA 64bit I don't think it is true for 32 bit.

You could also make sure that it is the real Administrator who tries to install the driver or whatever and not a User, unless you have changed privileges but even then I believe the hidden Administrator does have higher powers.

You might have a quieter life during installation if you turned off UAC! Or used the TWEAKUAC tool or Norton's UAC applet that modifies the notices UAC pops up so that you can say it's OK don't warn me again!

http://www.nortonlabs.com/inthelab/uac.php

but that does not do anything if you are a normal user. They get nagged.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
curveto

Does the PostScript RIP you need to hit have a network interface? If you ignore resolution and that its RIP is from manufacturer X Y or Z (for a moment), does it (or can it be made to) act like a normal PostScript device?

I'll have to return to work to figure out a solution for you. I don't have a Windows box handy where I am right now. You're going to have to build a custom PPD and get Windows to use it in conjunction with pscript (go look up pscript on msdn for more info). If Vista will put up with a "nromal" pscript install it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade your install to use a custom ppd. That said, it will only make the driver build PostScript code that doesn't arbitrarily limit itself to something less than 10k. Whether your RIP can convert that into a 10k raster image/buffer is a different question altogether.

Stupid Thought #6: Have you tried getting Photoshop to do this? It might just do it. I don't know as I've never tried. If it will, then you'd have the ability to save off a 10k (dpi) TIFF or similar. I'm sure some dtpforum geek or geekette will rapidly come to the rescue to see if they can get Photoshop to render say, an EPS (let's keep it simple for now) at 10k dpi (just import or open and it should use AGM to build some pixels).

For now,
JR
Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
curveto

You wouldn't happen to be making holograms, would you?