DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Urgent MS security update

According to “Microsoft’s urgent security update: What it means” on CNET News Microsoft today “issued an ‘out-of-band’ urgent update” and labeled it as critical for Windows XP and older versions of Windows, and important for Vista.

The article’s author, Jon Oltsik, strongly suggests that users begin emergency patching procedures immediately. The linked article explains in more depth.

We hear so many warnings and alerts these days that it we grow accustomed to shrugging them off, but this piece was flagged by Sidney Markowitz on Tapcis, and he has high credibility with me and many others here. So maybe Windows users should pay attention.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Be nice if they actualy had links so that you don't have to spend so much time trying to find the actual patch download...'-}}

Thanks...

Terrie

PS...I've not installed the patch...
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

This patch was being pushed out by MS so I assumed all Win users should get the "there is an update" warning. I think this one had to be sent out of sequence as there are exploits for this security problem out in the wild.

I get advanced notification of these security patches from GetSafeOnline.org, which is sponsored by UK Government & business. A useful service.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
This patch was being pushed out by MS so I assumed all Win users should get the "there is an update" warning.
Not me! But that's because I've turned them off, way too annoying.... Never assume!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Be nice if they actualy had links so that you don't have to spend so much time trying to find the actual patch download...'-}}
Below the article is a series of links to recent articles; Microsoft RPC exploit could be a packaged deal has a link, and more pertinent information. For instance:
Quote:
Since the patch came out Thursday morning, Symantec has seen increased scanning on ports 139 and 445, ports that exploits of MS08-067 would use.

There are some mitigating factors. Most firewalls, with default settings in place, should not allow an exploit of this penetrate that firewall, he said. However, home networks with File and Printer Sharing could fall victim to a bundled attack using this exploit.

The greatest danger is to systems running Windows XP and Windows 2000; Microsoft has ranked the patch as critical for these systems. On Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or Windows 7 pre-Beta, if the firewall is disabled, and File and Printer sharing enabled, an anonymous user could use this exploit to connect but would do so only at the lowest possible integrity setting, which would prevent successful exploitation, Greenbaum said. Microsoft has rated the patch only as important for those operating systems.
So, make sure your firewall is tight (especially those ports) and it's highly unlikely you run any risk now. Not until there's a "bundled attack" anyway.

Of course, if you aren't running a firewall, better start now - that will be (IMO) better security than merely applying a patch from MS.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

It was pushed to me. I assumed it was serious because it was less than a week since the last update.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
It was pushed to me. I assumed it was serious because it was less than a week since the last update.
It's serious only IF you don't have a decent firewall that's active and properly configured. Which probably excludes MS's own.