DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
George

Default How about a Good Example

I won't comment on this guy's politics...but, he does a nice web page. I like the background, the layout coordination, and the play of color. 100 coding errors -- So ?!?? Any web site that impresses me with design has lots of errors.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Richard Waller

I am impressed. And some of the words seem sensible too.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Oh dear - that puts my efforts in their rightful place design-wise

Seriously, there are many web designers who can also do things tidily 'under the hood'. This has a real world analogy in craft competitions, where the judges are looking for neatness and good craftsmanship even in the parts that you can't see from a superficial glance the outside.

The site you cite (!) used justified text - which I personally dislike quite a lot on screen. Browsers don't (yet) do it properly, but just increase the inter-word space, which I find ugly to look at.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Oh dear - that puts my efforts in their rightful place design-wise

Seriously, there are many web designers who can also do things tidily 'under the hood'. This has a real world analogy in craft competitions, where the judges are looking for neatness and good craftsmanship even in the parts that you can't see from a superficial glance the outside.

The site you cite (!) used justified text - which I personally dislike quite a lot on screen. Browsers don't (yet) do it properly, but just increase the inter-word space, which I find ugly to look at.
The design is very ugly. And not being intimately involved with American politics, I found that the home page gave me no clues at all as to the political inclinations of the politician. So the content is not all that good either.

<shrug>

Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Whilst the page does look better than most sites of this nature, it is not neccessary to have all those errors. The design and the errors are not connected. Just sloppy coding, you can get what you see without the errors.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
George

Quote:
Seriously, there are many web designers who can also do things tidily 'under the hood'.
But not in my actual browsing experience. Every single site that impresses me most for design, that is visual effect, has lots and lots of errors. It makes me think that there is an artistic sense in people that doesn't want to be distracted by coding. Seriously. I don't think I can hold it against them, especially since they have the part that is the hardest for me to acquire.

Quote:
This has a real world analogy in craft competitions, where the judges are looking for neatness and good craftsmanship even in the parts that you can't see from a superficial glance the outside.
That's good. Reminds me of how I used to evaluate porcelain, separating craftsmanship from design, where the two at times had completely differing standards, seemingly derived from two personalities involved, but probably arising from holding down overhead costs. But web page design is...one personality doing everything, though trying to accommodate another, and it's the coding, I think, that is the expense to hold down to keep the price reasonable.

George
Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
The design is very ugly. And not being intimately involved with American politics, I found that the home page gave me no clues at all as to the political inclinations of the politician. So the content is not all that good either.
What do you find ugly?? I'm curious. (BTW, in these times politicians by appearances try to appeal to both sides at the same time --they don't want inclinations front and center except at particular moments in time).

George
Old 10-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
What do you find ugly??
The justified text as Lois mentions. The fixed width. The garish background colours that clash with the content area. The busy-ness of it all. It assaults my eyes.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
The justified text as Lois mentions. The fixed width. The garish background colours that clash with the content area. The busy-ness of it all. It assaults my eyes.
Well, the colors almost seem patriotic to me. I think most political web sites try to work in red, white, and blue. And then he has a golden orange, and often in formal settings, the American flag is given a golden fringe to enhance its dignity. And most business men seem to wear a blue suit with a red tie; so the colors have a certain cultural significance.

I've been thinking a lot about navy blue and burgundy lately and what significance the colors had in my youth, which seems now almost magical. So I have to go buy blue and burgundy shirts now -- I mean the next time I see them. And I remember my old navy blue Plymouth Fury -- or does one have to live in the east to truly appreciate that color of car. But now I'm your friendly stranger in the black sedan -- still eastern.

As our congressman is from Georgia, I looked at the sites for the Atlanta Falcons football team and the State of Georgia, and they seemed even more busy...and that was my impression, that for the nature of the site, it was less busy than most.

But I think Catholics are really good at art and design. So here is the Vatican's site in English... what do you think of that?? (Oh my gosh, 24 errors... what was someone thinking???)

George
Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
...where the two at times had completely differing standards, seemingly derived from two personalities involved, but probably arising from holding down overhead costs. But web page design is...one personality doing everything, though trying to accommodate another, and it's the coding, I think, that is the expense to hold down to keep the price reasonable. George
Why is is more expensive to code using modern standards than 10 years old outdated, or just plain sloppy, ones I wonder? Is it that the truly 'artistic' only care about the look, and not the technique or perfection of what lies beneath, so are prepared to use cheap and cheerful methods to get to their end? That seems at odds with the craft ethic.

If you want to do it properly, you can either employ a designer who can code well, or get the designer to make the page look nice, then employ a good developer to translate that into good design. Oh, and while you are at it, put a copywriter and an SEO expert into the team. Now that sounds expensive - but it all depends on how good and effective you need the site to be.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote