DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
pubber

Default Are Risographs driver-less?

I'm planning to buy a used Risograph and have been offered one with a computer interface.
This might be a strange thing to say but I haven't seen any software for Risographs - strange because maybe they don't need any software.
I always thought that printers had to have drivers but maybe Risographs are different.
pubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubber View Post
I'm planning to buy a used Risograph and have been offered one with a computer interface.

This might be a strange thing to say but I haven't seen any software for Risographs - strange because maybe they don't need any software.
I always thought that printers had to have drivers but maybe Risographs are different.
I do not know much of anything about Risographs, but I can imagine functions that would benefit by being computer-driven — scripting, say. Or downloading files.

Maybe someone here has one and understands how they use their computer connection.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
pubber

Hi Ktinkel, Risographs are a kind of hybrid photocopier and letterpress printer, complete with rollers and ink.
I think, but I'm only guessing, that the advantage of a computer interface is that you can print directly from the document that's on the computer, the alternative being to print from a document which has been placed on the copier platen and has been copied first.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
imatt

I used to own a working Risograph. Pubber, you are mostly right about the way Risographs work. Don't forget the imaging master roll, the equivalent of a plate.

As far as an interface is concerned, you can also typically get a 10-20% improvemnt in print quality using a computer interface rather than scnning the original. I think you will need a driver to run the interface otherwise how will you tell it how many pages to print?

See:

http://www.riso.co.uk/242-riso-digit...technology.htm
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
pubber

Hi Matt, thanks for responding and for the link.
Since my last post I've decided against the idea of buying a Risograph with a computer interface. This was mostly because I couldn't see any drivers available on the Web, but also because another similar model became available without an interface.
I bought it on Ebay last night, it was half the price of the model with an interface. My reasoning was, everyone else seems to get by without an interface (a pretty sheep-like attitude, I admit), also, if the interface circuit or whatever on the Riso quits on me, what do I do then? Will it still work?
I'm due to pick the Riso up from a place in Leicestershire today, I'll keep you and anyone else who might be interested in Risograph printing technology advised on how I get on with it, on my amazing adventures in Risoland.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubber View Post
I'll keep you and anyone else who might be interested in Risograph printing technology advised on how I get on with it, on my amazing adventures in Risoland.
Oh, please do! It sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #7
pubber

So far the most amazing part of my adventure has been getting the Risograph home.
There's the adventure of observing it in my dining room, the beige-coloured steel and plastic structure arranged tastefully between the natural wood of a Welsh dresser and Neapolitan dining table, but that's an aesthetic adventure.
Getting it home was a practical adventure. It only just fitted into my compact estate car\station waggon.
By `only just' I mean that the electrical\mechanical part of the thing only just fitted into the back of the car. The stand, the cupboard that it sits on, had to go on the passenger seat.
Adventurously, this prevented me from engaging reverse gear. This would have had some adventurous consequences, if I had got lost and had to reverse.
Adventurously, I did get lost, and did, in theory, have to reverse. But luckily I was able to drive a little further on, desperately looking for a space wide enough to do a U-turn.
Even more adventurously, the only place available was right outside a police station. I don't know if it's an offence to drive a car with no reverse gear, and let's face it, with limited vision, the kind of car where you have to peer over a cupboard to see where you're going. I didn't linger long enough to find out.
Anyway, the next adventure will be figuring out how to use it. I was given some verbal instructions by the seller, and luckily it has a user manual, so here's hoping..
Old 10-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Congratulations! Sounds like a proper adventure — but let’s hope that is the only adventure in your use of this thing.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
Mike
Staff

Sounds a bit like my adventures when buying my Ricoh printer. Having got it home we had to take the kitchen door off its hinges to get it through to the workshop.

Do hope it all ends up a successful adventure.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Howard Allen

Sounds like an episode of Mr. Bean! I hope you weren't trying to change your pants at the same time!

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote