DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default How does Facebook work?

An old friend looked me up and gave me a link to Facebook to catch up with him.

What a PITA! Had to register (otherwise couldn’t do anything there). Strike one.

Then I found my friend’s profile and tried to view more, but then (only then) got a note that I needed to wait for him to accept me as a friend, then click through. Okay, normal enough, but why so vague (and late)? Anyway, strike two.

Got the e-mail, clicked, was able to log and be accepted as a friend. But then what? I saw his name next to a sort of avatar; clicking on either of those did exactly nothing. Wrote to my friend; he said I should be able to click on either his name or image and get to his wall (FB-speak for page). No dice. Strike three. But I’m a good sport.

Decided maybe it was the old Safari/Mac problem. So I used his e-mail link with Firefox. This time I actually got to his wall. I saw a link to 39 photos, so I clicked on that. Nada. Back to avatar plus name, with a warning that I had to be his friend to view his pictures. But I was his friend! That’s how I got there! What is the matter with that thing?

So I clicked on the back button, and got back to Square One, unknown, friendless, lost in the wilderness. Saw a Log Out link, clicked on it, deleted the tab, and gave up.

Is it just me? Am I too old or too stupid to use Facebook?

Any of you on that thing?