DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
livewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
How are the pictures blurred? The first thing you need to do is assess what the problem is.

2) Subject movement: this is the problem you're going to have the most success at fixing with higher ISO settings and faster shutter speeds. In this case, you should notice that stationary objects (stuff hanging on the walls, etc.) are sharp in the picture, but animated objects (people moving on stage?) will be blurry.
I think this is the main problem, the actual picture isn't that bad, but it looks as though it's been dragged across the screen, with a trail behind it.

I think 4.9 is the maximum value I can set for the f-stop but hopefully I should have some success with changing the ISO.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
livewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
Take a look at this Guest blog over at Scott Kelby's site, might give you some pointers. THREE SONGS, NO FLASH
That article was really good, gave me a lot of ideas, thanks!!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
JohnC
Staff

Experiment with the ISO before you go out to the real thing. Compact cameras rarely offer good quality at higher than ISO 400. And compared to the dSLR used in the article above, even at 200 it will be pretty noisy/grainy.

I wasn't able to find info on the S1060, but I did find an S1050. It looks like it has a variable aperture zoom lens. At the short/wide end of its range it is f/2.8. But at the long/telephoto end it has a maximum aperture of f/4.4. You might do better to take wider shots. DOF shouldn't be much of a consideration at the distances you are working at with a small-sensor camera like this.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
I think this is the main problem, the actual picture isn't that bad, but it looks as though it's been dragged across the screen, with a trail behind it.

I think 4.9 is the maximum value I can set for the f-stop but hopefully I should have some success with changing the ISO.
Friday live photos? Let us know how it works out.

Post some examples, good or bad, that may help the camera buffs here figure out what to do. Of course, digital editing after taking photos is important, too. What are you using for that?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
livewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Friday live photos? Let us know how it works out.

Post some examples, good or bad, that may help the camera buffs here figure out what to do. Of course, digital editing after taking photos is important, too. What are you using for that?
I will do! I have managed to get some passable pictures around the house with the ISO at 800 so far, so I will try it out tonight and see what I can produce.

I have actually never edited my pictures at all. They either turn out great and so I don't see the need in editing them, or they are terrible and I just dispose of them.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
I will do! I have managed to get some passable pictures around the house with the ISO at 800 so far, so I will try it out tonight and see what I can produce.

I have actually never edited my pictures at all. They either turn out great and so I don't see the need in editing them, or they are terrible and I just dispose of them.
Irfanview is a free tool to work with photos. Paint Shop Pro is inexpensive compared with Photoshop, and does almost as much. I use it regularly, and I prefer the old version 6. Either of these or both can be obtained quickly online by searching Irfanview download, or Paint Shop Pro.

I will leave it to others to comment on the benefits of editing, but at a minimum adjustments in brightness and contrast, and judicious cropping can make a dramatic difference. Also, sometimes size must be reduced to send by email or upload to some forums. This forum, for example, has limits on attached photos.

doc 97.7 KB
gif 200.0 KB
hqx 3.00 MB
jpe 200.0 KB
jpeg 200.0 KB
jpg 200.0 KB
kmz 19.5 KB
mov 3.00 MB
pdf 3.00 MB
png 200.0 KB
sit 3.00 MB
sitx 3.00 MB
txt 19.5 KB
zip 3.00 MB
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #17
BobRoosth

I hate be critical, but the bottom line is that you purchased the wrong camera for that kind of application. The lens spec on that camera is f2.8 (wide) - f4.6 (tele). You need closer to f2.4 at ISO 800 to come close to an acceptable shutter speed under the lighting conditions I am sure you are seeing. Even the inexpensive DSLRs have a problem because their stock lenses are just as slow at your camera, although they do better at noise control when the ISO is bumped up to 1600/3200.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #18
lurkalot

Also if you want some good free software to reduce the noise in your photographs, you could do much worse than download the free version of Imagenomic Noisware.

Info here, www.imagenomic.com

And download here, Download Use the free Noiseware Community Edition at the bottom.

This software works very well.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #19
livewire

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those.
Are they relatively beginner-friendly? You're talking to a girl who had to ask for step-by-step instructions to crop an image in PagePlus...I think it's safe to say I'm relatively software incompatible!

Stuff happened last night and I wasn't able to get to the event I was meant to be photographing for the uni but I will get some experimental pics in here asap!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
Also if you want some good free software to reduce the noise in your photographs, you could do much worse than download the free version of Imagenomic Noisware. (...)
This software works very well.
I was all ready to download when I saw the free Community version is for XP/Vista only - the other versions support Win2000, too. Besides, it only saves as Jpeg - that's not good enough for a "master" version that may need further editing like straightening and/or cropping.

I'll stick with Helicon Filter which I've already paid for...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote