DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default AOL Pop-ups, fails

My friend Pat is using AOL, although she connects with COMCAST cable. Recently she has been experiencing a lot of virus and other warnings while in AOL, followed by being thrown out of AOL. I try to avoid knowing much about AOL, but she and others are in AOL chat rooms, etc., and won't quit.

Any suggestions?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
My friend Pat is using AOL, although she connects with COMCAST cable. Recently she has been experiencing a lot of virus and other warnings while in AOL, followed by being thrown out of AOL. I try to avoid knowing much about AOL, but she and others are in AOL chat rooms, etc., and won't quit.

Any suggestions?
Probably the easiest thing would be to create a new e-mail address and username and re-register. But if the warnings mean that she is spreading viruses somehow then I suppose it will happen again.

Does she know her system is clean?

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Probably the easiest thing would be to create a new e-mail address and username and re-register. But if the warnings mean that she is spreading viruses somehow then I suppose it will happen again.

Does she know her system is clean?
She doesn't know if she has virus protection or not, but her son is visiting this weekend and will take care of that. Meanwhile, I suggested that she run SpyBot, which I installed for her months ago, and see if that is any help.

As for changing username and email address, most people find that too big an upheaval to contemplate.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
She doesn't know if she has virus protection or not, but her son is visiting this weekend and will take care of that. Meanwhile, I suggested that she run SpyBot, which I installed for her months ago, and see if that is any help.

As for changing username and email address, most people find that too big an upheaval to contemplate.
You don’t have to change it so much as create a new one for just that place. (I know people who have a special e-mail address for each regular site they visit.)

Doesn’t her ISP allow more than one e-mail address? Not usually all that difficult. If nothing else, it might help you figure out what’s going on.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
You don’t have to change it so much as create a new one for just that place. (I know people who have a special e-mail address for each regular site they visit.)

Doesn’t her ISP allow more than one e-mail address? Not usually all that difficult. If nothing else, it might help you figure out what’s going on.
Comcast Internet is her ISP, which indeed provides five email addresses, but she only uses AOL and an AOL email address, and not her ISP email.

Unsophisticated users don't do things the way we might. AOL users don't leave the service behind when they get broadband Internet service.

I will keep you posted on what develops.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Comcast Internet is her ISP, which indeed provides five email addresses, but she only uses AOL and an AOL email address, and not her ISP email.

Unsophisticated users don't do things the way we might. AOL users don't leave the service behind when they get broadband Internet service.

I will keep you posted on what develops.
Good luck. Maybe her son will find something on her computer, fix it, and all will be well.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PageMaker7.0 fails to create PDF Barbara Print Production & Automation 30 11-18-2006 10:52 AM
ATM Deluxe (Win) fails to recognize all fonts Michael Rowley Fonts & Typography 26 07-03-2005 07:51 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.